Black Cut-a-way Stabilizer

Old 02-21-2023, 09:22 AM

Default Black Cut-a-way Stabilizer

Hello, This question is for all those that machine embroider. I am in dire need of a 9x12 piece of BLACK CUT-A-WAY Stabilizer. I live in a rural area and Walmart’s are 20 miles away in 3 different directions. None of the 3 have it. The fourth direction is 40 miles away with a JoAnns and a Hobby Lobby. I called HL but they didn’t have any. I didn’t see any on JoAnns web site. All my stabilizers are white. I don’t think I’ve ever had to use black or that it really mattered before. However, this is important. My grandson wants his racing number on a jacket back ( not his fireproof racing clothes). He bought a jacket for causal wear and it had embroidery on the front. The company emb with a black stabilizer. I will be embroidering the back so I’d like black stabilizer too as it will show on the inside once jacket is removed. I cut a piece 9x12 of white cutaway that I have and folded, it will fit in a regular long envelope, so should just be a stamp. It shouldn’t be overweight bc I’ve received thick papers in same size envelope that was thick. So my question is, would anyone have any they would be willing to send me? If so I will send my address.
Another thought. My daughter found some on Amazon but I’m unsure if it’s actually real cutaway. I think it was from China, might be like interfacing. Have any of you ordered before? I will only order as last resort bc I don’t need yards and yards of it. I have been embroidering almost 20 years and I believe this is my first real need for Black cutaway. Appreciate any input-Toogie
Old 02-21-2023, 05:19 PM

Well, let’s see if I can help you..do you know about the fabric like grass/weed guard you put on the ground before you plant flower bulbs, plants, shrubs to keep weeds/grass from growing around? It’s found at hardware stores, building supply stores— comes in rolls, ( quite wide) and costs pennies compared to stabilizers. It works wonderfully as emb stabilizer and excess has to be cut away. Totally washable ( Duh..rain, snow, mud!)… it’s "bad" is the iron. Too warm and it puckers because it’s poly of some sort. I have used the white…it came as wrap on new recliners and I’m sure it’s same as the ground cover. If you don’t find it readily available, PM me and I will mail you a 'whack off'. See? No need to panic
Edited to add..of course you can use extra layers if design is dense.

Last edited by mermaid; 02-21-2023 at 05:21 PM. Reason: More info
Old 02-21-2023, 05:48 PM

I found these options available in black.

https://embroideryonline.com/shop?search_query=cut+away

Have you considered a Heat-Away type? I understand that the heat ones vanish but leave the underneath layer to support the stitches.

https://www.shop.dzgns.com/collectio...ite-sew-n-heat

or WSS? You may not want water on the jacket.

Hopefully, another poster will have something in black that works for the design. It sounds like a fun project for your grandson. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2023, 06:10 AM

I just checked on the site I go to......World Weidner and they have black cut away stabilizers in sheets and rolls, various types. Here's the website and page. Go about halfway down to find the black. Whether it's in stock, I can't say but it's another site to check out. I buy from them exclusively and have never had a problem with their products or shipping. I usually buy by the roll so it has been awhile since I ordered last.

https://www.worldweidner.com/search....lse&category=7
Old 02-22-2023, 10:43 AM

I'll have to check, but I think that I have some black Sulky tearaway that I'd gladly send to you. I'll check when I get home and let you know.
Old 02-22-2023, 06:07 PM

Okay, I checked. The roll of black cutaway that I have is only 8". I could send you two 12" lengths if that will work for you. Just send me a PM with your address if you think this will work for you.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:44 AM

Thank you all. I have some on the way.