Picked up a Singer 99k

Old 02-21-2023, 01:37 PM

Default Picked up a Singer 99k

Was at the local thrift store and ran across a mostly intact, if not neglected, 99K:

Serial no. dates it to 1957. All there except a throat plate and bobbin. Runs smoothly, no bobbin so no idea how it stitches. Has the standard push pin pad neck rash. Wiring has the usual litany of offenses committed to it: electical tape, twisted together, worn through spots and some gawd aweful wobbly plug grafted on.

Came in its original Singer table, which is a little rough but restorable.

Have several other projects on the go so it will sit in the corner of the sewing loft for now. Probably just restore the cabinet, strip it down, fresh paint and decals, a rewire, new electronic/digital pedal and just use it for smaller odd jobs it seems to be suited for.

Last edited by great white; 02-21-2023 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:29 PM

Nice find! I am glad restoring makes you happy. This machine still has a lot of life left to give. Nice cabinet, too. Lucky!
Old 02-22-2023, 07:06 PM

Well, a little cleaning and oiling and the little 99 is running like a jeweled watch.

Unfortunately, the enamel isn’t cleaning up as well as I’d hoped. The pin rash is pretty bad in some areas and while it was coming back with rubbing compound and my smallest DA polisher, there are spots where the enamel is gone right down to the base metal. Other areas aren’t cleaning well and the base has that okd paint cracking everywhere.

So its going to be a full strip down to the frame, ultrasonic for all the bits and then a repaint and new decals.

Oh well. Do it right, do it once.

Pretty sure I’m going to change out the incandescent bulb in the “spot light”. That thibgs gets so hot I’m surprised the plastic body hasn’t melted or burst into flames already…..

Last edited by great white; 02-22-2023 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2023, 11:30 PM

I'd love to see your progress on this restore.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1.41 View Post
I'd love to see your progress on this restore.
Its not going to be anything fancy; pull it apart, clean, strip, paint, assemble and adjust. Cabinet is just a little wood repair, sanding, staining and varnish.

Bone stock refurbish, not counting color…
Old 02-25-2023, 08:51 AM

I was first thinking to just respray the 99k in black, then was thinking Ford Impact Blue. But now I’m thinking I might just paint the 99K the same metallic Turquoise I used on my 319.

Might look nice having matching color machines in the sewing loft.

The White 365 and Kenmores will stay their stock green/blue/white colors since they’re all in good shape. The leather patcher might get the same turquoise as the 319/99k though.

The White 365 is just too striking in its stock greenish/blueish colors to touch. Plus, the paint is still factory fresh so it woukd probably be a sin to repaint it…

Last edited by great white; 02-25-2023 at 08:54 AM.