Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making backing for king size quilt. Not my favorite thing. >

Making backing for king size quilt. Not my favorite thing.

Making backing for king size quilt. Not my favorite thing.

Old 03-09-2023, 02:20 PM

Default Making backing for king size quilt. Not my favorite thing.

Any hints on cutting and sewing the backing together. I stall every time it comes to making the backing of the quilt. So much fabric to deal with makes me want to do it later than sooner. I'm not new at this been quilting for years, but still struggle to just sew the dang back together! I've already sold it, so I've just got to get it finished!
Old 03-09-2023, 03:07 PM

Hi Rhonda,

I place the edges so the fabrics match if needed. Fold one edge under half inch and place on top of the fabric so the patterns match.

Use basting tape or wash away tape to hold them together. Lay the fabric right side together and then trim to a half inch seam allowance. I draw the seam line and stitch down the line. Press the seam line. I use starch along the seam.

You can trim the seam down to a 1/4 inch if you like.

I also top stitch the seam line so it doesn’t flip when quilting. You can always take it out later after quilting if you like.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:15 PM

For king quilts I bite the bullet and get widebacks. Saves SO much hassle.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:24 PM

How big do you need the backing? Anyway, I will usually buy regular yardage which is 40-44 inches wide. I will cut three equal lengths the length I need. I will usually do not buy fabric that needs to be matched. I leave the salvages on. I line up the selvages and stitch a wide enough seam (usually about 1.5 inches) so I can trim the selvages off before quilting, it is easier to line up the fabrics with the selvages on. I do pin every 6 inches or so. When stitched, I trim off the selvages for the interior seams leaving the two outside selvages on (these can be useful for attaching the backing to the leaders of the longarm. I usually press the seams to one side. I will mount the backing, so the seams run parallel to the rollers. I do have a 12-foot frame (144 inches so can usually mount a king on) I end up with about a 1/2-inch seam and I use a walking foot as it feeds the fabric more evenly.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
That's usually what I do also. I have pieced backs for smaller quilts, but never with a fabric that needed matching. I did piece one back that was a shade too narrow so I inserted a line of strip piecing using leftover from the string quilt front. I actually like the back of that one almost as much as the front.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:37 AM

I buy wide backs as well. The lady who does my quilting has expressed how much she really appreciates me using the wide back fabric. I can usually find wide back fabric that will compliment the quilt top for a very reasonable price. However, sometimes a pieced back just makes more sense when wanting a particular look.
Old 03-10-2023, 06:03 PM

When all else fails, I look for an inexpensive cotton sheet. I haven't done that in a while and just wonder if there are any out there anymore? fyi....When Hancock's was still in business, I bought the wide backings by the bolt when they were on sale. I am slowly but surely running out. I will have to start watching for sales. I H.A.T.E. sewing the backings together for the kings.

Edited to add: I have never bought from Thousands of Bolts but certainly will if I need a large backing. https://www.thousandsofbolts.com/ind...category_ID=26

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 03-10-2023 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Since I make so few king size quilts, I splurge on wide backing fabric too.
Old 03-11-2023, 06:32 PM

Thank you so much for your responses. For some reason it does my heart good to know there are a few of you who don't like to put king size backs together either.
I did bite the bullet and finished the back by dividing the fabric up in thirds and pinned and sewed it together. I took wider seams than I usually do and trimmed them down to about a 1/2 inch. I think that helped. Thanks, Sewing Pup.
Rhonda, I believe your method would work on fabrics that need matching and maybe a smaller quilt. It sounds a bit more labor intensive but very accurate. I'll keep that in mind for other projects in the wings.
And maybe looking into the wide backs would help me even more. I have not used any wide backing fabric. However, most of you recommended that prospect. Thank you all very much!
Old 03-11-2023, 07:54 PM

I actually like using the regular width fabric better for backing. There are more choices and often times I can find clearance fabric on sale. I had problems with some backing fabrics early on. The were not always wide enough for the really large quilts and also, they were not wound straight on the bolt so I lost a fair amount trying to straighten them out. I ended up usually buying at least a 1/2 yard more than I needed as I had to straighten up the fabric. One of the shops I went to said she always tore the wide backs because it made then straighter that way. Also, some of the wide backs did not seem to be the same quality as regular yardage. I do have a long-arm and really want my backings to be straight as I pin them to the leaders and if they are not straight, it creates creases and wrinkles in the backing.