Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My First Guild Meeting >

My First Guild Meeting

My First Guild Meeting

Old 03-10-2023, 04:51 AM

Default My First Guild Meeting

Thanks to a new friend here, ibex94, I learned about a monthly quilt guild meeting. I was nervous and didn't know what to expect. I didn't know there were so many people that quilt in Corpus! I forget the presenter's name, but she shared abut 15 amazing quilts. I'm hooked! And I signed up for my first ever workshop for next month. It's instructions for a collage type head shot.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:08 AM

Glad you had a good time. I belong to 3 guilds and enjoy each one although they are all different. it's fun to be with people who understand our passion!
Old 03-10-2023, 05:23 AM

Guilds are fun and they all are different. One guild I belong to was pretty formal, having a set agenda each month. Another was very informal, and I think primarily a time to get together for coffee and treats and talk and of course some show and tell. The other group was a mix of the other two but focused primarily on the modern quilt process. As I have some major health issues, I stopped going during covid and meetings actually were suspended also for a bit. One set up a zoom meeting and I really did enjoy that one. Actually it was a better option for me as I did not need to drive to meetings after dark and during bad weather.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Good for you!
Old 03-10-2023, 11:38 AM

Congrats on finding a Guild. They are a wonderful place to meet new friends. I am glad you signed up for a workshop. For me, that is the best way to meet people. I always compare it to going to church. You can sit in the same pew for years, it's when you go to Sunday school and other activities that it becomes more fun.
Old 03-10-2023, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

I remember my first guild meeting. I walked in not knowing anyone and left being the Hostess for the guild for the next year. It was the best way to get know everyone when they signed in for sure. LOL All you have to do is raise your hand for any volunteer position and you will fit right in.
Old 03-11-2023, 05:12 AM

wonderful for you!! I'd be all over a local guild of they met in the daytime, or alternate days and evenings. Like Jamie Lee Curtis, I just don't do nights anymore.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:13 PM

I am glad you were able to go!!! Hopefully, next month I can be there, too. Did they have a give away table? Did the guild members do a show and tell as well?

Last edited by ibex94; 03-11-2023 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:44 AM

Yes, ibex, there was a give away table with a container for dollar bills to donate what you feel the give away is worth. The show and tell was at the end. Ended right at noon. Hope you make it in April, too! Hope your dad is improving.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

My guild has a free table, no money collected though.The table is always full. The left over is taken by the Free Table person to donate or dispose . Nothing is kept meeting to meeting. Show and Tell is my favorite part. I like demos of new tools or techniques and try to do one when I get a new ruler, etc.