Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where is the TRUE red fabric? >

Where is the TRUE red fabric?

Where is the TRUE red fabric?

Old 03-16-2023, 10:33 AM

Question Where is the TRUE red fabric?

Went to JoAnns yesterday looking for Christmas red fab for Holiday projects. Had a sample of fab I was trying to coordinate. OMG every quilter's cotton fab in red had an orange tint to one. Every single bolt. Did find a better choice in a dif department, more expesive of course, and a lilttle heavier.

Are you seeing this problem wilth other colors? Red, for me, is a basic color that I use alot. May have to change how I choose fab in the future.
Old 03-16-2023, 01:22 PM

Well, supposedly there are 72 shade of black....grey black, blue black, green black (actually need some of that to finish a top),etc etc. Stands to reason that there are at least that many shades of the other colours too. The main reason that I hesitate to order fabric online, is that I am never sure that my computer is giving me an accurate colour. Even the lighting in different parts of a store can distort a colour.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

Fabric companies change their colours every year so you need to buy more fabric of course.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

A life long problem when trying to match whether it be thread or fabric. Thought i ordered red thread but it came as burgundy--not to waste as i can always use but this is so
frustrating and I still need red thread==ha !
Old 03-16-2023, 06:40 PM

Reds can be orange based or blue based. Not everyone sees color the same. That's why there are lots of fabric lines and lots of fabric stores.
Old 03-17-2023, 07:24 AM

It could be that fabric goes in trends, like fashion, and orange-red is 'in'. Sorry for your frustration!
Old 03-17-2023, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

Yeah, red is a funny color. I noticed that with nail polish too. You can't imagine all the different shades of red, pink etc etc etc!
They just want you to keep buying them lol.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:28 AM

There are definitely trends. A few years ago, I wanted a forest green and everything had an olive tint! It took several years for the olive trend to die. I kept chanting "Die, olive trend, DIE!" 😆
However, I have been able to find true reds recently, although I don't shop at Joann's. You might have to widen your search to quilt shops.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

And white! Back in the 90s we were picking laminate counter tops and I said I wanted white. Well, who knew there were a ton of whites to choose from! I ended up picking something called "white", haha.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:31 AM

It's funny how trends change like that. There is a green batik that I consider to be the perfect green. Not dark, not light, medium. I could never describe it but I know it when I see it. Hope you find your red.