Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
baby quilt vs ?? >

baby quilt vs ??

baby quilt vs ??

Old 03-19-2023, 12:36 PM

I like to make them throw size. My babies were bigger than average and grew fast as toddlers. Throw size would have worked well for them. I also think a small 'blankie' or doll quilt of the same fabrics would be nice so they can take it to daycare or when riding in the car.
Old 03-19-2023, 12:49 PM

For baby quilts I usually go a bit larger so they can be used later. My favorite go to is the "I Spy" so they can be a learning tool too. Also, so many people give the new baby small soft blankets that I don't want the quilt just put away. I did make small quilts for girls so they can be used as doll quilts. But that was because I had some panels that were so cute and didn't want to use them as a medallion style. One friend told me she tried to put the quilt away and her daughter told her that her babies were using it to keep warm. LOL! The one I made for my grandson is a simple Chevron this a large heart in the right lower quadrant. The fabric line was, I Love You to the Moon and Back - they already had the book. His dad won't let him use it - it hangs in his room - the label is the "Twinkle, Twinkle little star, Do you know how loved you are?" His dad said it makes his tear up every time he reads it. My daughter said I need to make my grandson another one, but I will wait until he needs one for a bed. He is only 2 and still in a crib. Besides I need to make one for his new sister now.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:11 PM

I like to make them a bit bigger so they can still use them until they're in grade school. Also, they can use them on the floor when learning to crawl. Anyway, I like making I spy quilts too so they can use them to learn words, colors, ect. Also, If they have a sibling, I have made an extra "doll quilt" to match so the sibling can use that one for her/his dollie baby.
Old 03-22-2023, 03:45 AM

I make baby quilts at lease 45" square but they often are a little larger to allow for growth. It depends on the purpose. Is the quilt for tummy time when he baby is young, it is for he child when they are out of the crib, is it for a toddler or preschool aged child? Do you desire that the quilt be used daily or used as a nursery decoration. Keep in mind that if you make the quilt that is larger and intended for an older "baby" then the nursery colors may no longer apply. I generally make quilts that are interesting, calming colors and fun but not necessarily "baby". You are correct those baby days pass quickly.

I have attached photos of a baby quilt I made that is childish but not baby and for a family of hunters/fishers/and outdoors folk. Just an example of how you can honor the family and baby with a quilt but not quite follow the pink/blue baby tradition. In the end make what you wish to give to the new little one. Have fun with your new project.

Attached Thumbnails 2020-10-15-john-andrew-keeler-close-up-1.jpg   2020-10-15-john-andrew-keeler.jpg  
Old 03-22-2023, 04:03 AM

I make Project Linus Quilts (charity) and the majority of them are a large throw size. Big enough for a toddler and yet even a teenager may enjoy to snuggle with them. Haven't done a "baby" size in a couple years.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:55 AM

I've made quite a few baby quilts that are square using width of fabric. These are used during infancy and are great for covering while rocking little ones or for dragging around. The square ones also are a good size for tucking in around the little ones in car seats if the family lives in cold winter climate. Also to be considered is that the traditional crib size might work for use on toddler beds as most cribs now convert for that use. But, let's face it, for practical use, today's parents/kids like the fleece or minkee covers as they are soft, take "abusive" laundering extremely well and stay soft over those early years.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:41 AM

For a long time I have been making Charity Quilts. They mostly go to shelters that house children of all ages. So, I came upon a free pattern for a puzzle quilt, PERFECT for what I was looking for. The symbolism is for the children trying to put their pieces together. I introduced it into our guild and I have to say it has become very emotional. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTOnNd4QWL8. I love them, you could incorporate an I Spy into the 5" blocks, or color coordinate. So now I was watching Jen from Shabby Fabrics making a quillow. I know that an old fashion idea, BUT this can follow the child to day care, preschool, elementary school and even to sports games as they are growing up. I have a couple of simple puzzles that I'm planning to tuck into the pillow (or any book for that matter)
Old 03-22-2023, 06:41 AM

My thought about baby quilts is Baby quilts may be for the mom. Quilts matching the color scheme for the room. Infants want to be fed, held, changed, and loved. When they turn 2 is when I make a toddler quilt. Bigger size. Maybe a theme to the fabric. Panels are great for toddlers especially if you give the book, too. Just my opinion and that's how I sew.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

I often make a lap size quilt. Many people do not use baby quilts any more for safety reasons. This way they can use it as a floor quilt to lay the baby on and later it can be a toddler quilts and even later a lap quilt for on the couch or floor to watch movies with. 50x60 My girls still use their crib quilts and they are now both 17. I made a scrappy delectable mountains, one in pink and one in purple.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:27 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I make baby quilts at lease 45" square but they often are a little larger to allow for growth. It depends on the purpose. Is the quilt for tummy time when he baby is young, it is for he child when they are out of the crib, is it for a toddler or preschool aged child? Do you desire that the quilt be used daily or used as a nursery decoration. Keep in mind that if you make the quilt that is larger and intended for an older "baby" then the nursery colors may no longer apply. I generally make quilts that are interesting, calming colors and fun but not necessarily "baby". You are correct those baby days pass quickly.

I have attached photos of a baby quilt I made that is childish but not baby and for a family of hunters/fishers/and outdoors folk. Just an example of how you can honor the family and baby with a quilt but not quite follow the pink/blue baby tradition. In the end make what you wish to give to the new little one. Have fun with your new project.
That is adorable. Was it a panel ? If so do you know it’s name?