Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design wall... >

Design wall...

Design wall...

Old 03-27-2023, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
I think “dull over years” might be normal wear and tear. Read somewhere that back-when there were needle and pin retirement services. Think it was Japan.
Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
WHAT? Please explain.
I wonder if she was referring to hari kuyo as described at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hari-Kuy%C5%8D

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 03-27-2023, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I wonder if she was referring to hari kuyo as described at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hari-Kuy%C5%8D

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Yep. That’s it.

Those pins and needles, served us well. Now, put to rest.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:32 AM

I bought my flannel cover years ago but finally just put it up last month. Yes, I know it took awhile before I finally had a moment when nothing was on my design wall. Anyway, I'd also had bought the 2 insulation boards at 1.5" x 4 x 8 and cut them down to fit my space. I used screws with large heads to attach it to my chipboard down here in the basement, then used 505 spray over the insulation board to attach the flannel which was 120 x 120. I'd trimmed it down leaving at least an extra 2 inches to wrap around the edges of the insulation board. Of course my ornery kitty found a loose edge and started playing with it so I went around the sides with straight pins so she couldn't remove it on me. So far it's worked very well for me. I'm so glad I bought what I needed years ago as I didn't realize the prices would jump so much due to the pandemic and greed.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=Quiltwoman44;8594411]I finally moved my huge metal shelving unit away from the wall so i can use the wall for design. well looking online is fun. Two places I looked at later on when i looked again, had put the price up!! Grrrr. Now I must find a place that does not do that.
I have a Fons and Porter design but all I use it for is to cover my plants in the winter time. I could get nothing to stick to it. I went to Walmart after Christmas, bought all the flannel backed vinyl tablecloths they had. Two I use for my design wall and the rest join the Fons and Porter keeping my plants protected in the winter.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

I bought one several years ago on sale from MSQC and it's served me well. I don't know how I managed without one.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:49 PM

protecting plants!! good idea. I have some elephant ear plants i had to put some big plastic over when we had a Polar Vortex come through. their tops still died but they are coming back well now. whew!
Old 03-27-2023, 04:33 PM

I've used cotton batting; it worked well for me, but I just don't really have much wall space. Then, I moved to a Cheryl's (I think that's the name, it's a portable design wall that collapses). It's okay, but units and blocks often fell off. Now, I have 2 panels of the foam insulation board that I covered with an inexpensive flannel sheet from Amazon. It's been the best solution yet for me. I can kind of lean them against the wall, then move when not needed.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:25 AM

I just use the bed or floor. Trouble with using the bed to lay out my squares is that I have to pick everything up when it's time to go to bed.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:28 AM

he, he. I am getting too old to get things up off the floor and my bed, well I have one cat who claims my bed for her own during the day. So it's difficult using that space. I'm hoping a wall will help me get on with things faster.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:36 AM

I have 2 of the foam insulation boards. When I'm not working on something big, I put one behind the other and they stand nicely against the wall. When I'm working on a big quilt, I close the closet door and stand them side by side so I can lay out the whole thing. I don't have them fastened to the wall. I felt that would limit their usefulness. Now I can move them wherever I want them.

I never used the gridded flannel. I figured that would be too hard to me to get straight on the boards and I probably wouldn't use it that much anyway.