Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can’t spend time in quilting room: What to do? >

Can’t spend time in quilting room: What to do?

Can’t spend time in quilting room: What to do?

Old 04-06-2023, 05:29 AM

Default Can’t spend time in quilting room: What to do?

All you Brilliant Quilters: I need your help. My dog had eye surgery and must remain calm for the next month to let it heal. Which means she can’t use stairs. And she is glued to me like a stray thread, so if I go upstairs, she will want to come, but is a bit too big (30 pounds) to carry. And my quilting room (sewing machine, sit-down quilting machine, cutting table, ironing board) is upstairs.

Do I just stick with a hand-sewing project? Bring my ironing board downstairs and pre-wash fabric? Set up my sewing machine on my dining table? All of the above? Looking forward to your suggestions and solutions you had when your sewing room was more or less off-limits.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:34 AM

I would just do some hand work for the next month. After I broke my ankle, I couldn't manage the stairs for over a month. I made a lot of progress on my hexies then. I'd play it by ear. If you got tired of the hand work before the month was up, you could always bring some of the other stuff down then. Good luck and hugs and pets for your doggie.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:55 AM

If you have unwashed fabric, I would work on that. If you have any patterns and magazines that you haven't gone through, you could bring those down and make some plans. Is your computer downstairs? You could use this as an excuse to browse fabric websites on line, LOL. Or learn some new techniques on youtube. If you have finished, unquilted tops, you could trim frayed threads on the backs (ugh, my least favorite task). And definitely work on your hand sewing.

Wishing your dog a speedy recovery!
Old 04-06-2023, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

All or your ideas are good ones and you are a loving doggy Mama!
Get well soon, Pooch!
Old 04-06-2023, 07:33 AM

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies and well wishes for my little pup. She seems to best if I just sit still, so I will probably start with hand-work and browsing on my iPad. Good thought on trimming extra threads on finished quilt tops! Then when that gets too boring, I’ll probably wash and press fabrics so I’m ready to go when everything is back to normal.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:03 AM

Hope your doggie gets well soon. All of the above as far as what to do while you're stuck downstairs.

Rob
Old 04-06-2023, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

I would make a center down stairs, move your sewing machine and bring projects packed as kits. Kind of like when you go camping. My studio is up stairs too and I have run into issues like this before. I also have hand sewing bags and baskets that contain a project and enough to work on it.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:25 AM

Love all the ideas for your personal doggie day care! How about snuggling and watching a movie when you get tired of your quiltilng activities.
Old 04-06-2023, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

It is the time of year I get an itch to start my spring outdoor clean up and planting. Still to early here due to cold but you could start some seedlings to move outside later if you are a gardener. You could spend some time working out quilting designs on your tablet or download some books to read. If you live in a city, a cup a tea and a sunny window to people watch. Research some freezer meals you can make ahead of time so they are quick suppers when you can get back to sewing.
Old 04-06-2023, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

My main quilting room is upstairs, with the longarm and my Bernina and fabric stash. But I also have a 301 in a cabinet on wheels for downstairs sewing. I set up an iron and cutting station on the kitchen island, bring my project downstairs, and I can sew with my dog. He recently had knee surgery, and he doesn't like stairs either.