Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Convert handiquilter frame to use Sweet Sixteen >

Convert handiquilter frame to use Sweet Sixteen

Convert handiquilter frame to use Sweet Sixteen

Old 04-11-2023, 06:25 AM

Default Convert handiquilter frame to use Sweet Sixteen

Many years ago I was given an old handiquilter frame which I used my domestic Janome 6600 on. I now have a Sweet Sixteen sit down quilter and was contemplating trying to convert the frame down to use for my Sweet Sixteen. Has anyone ever attempted this?
Old 04-11-2023, 07:14 PM

Well I've never, but taking the Wayback Machine to 12/1/08 handiquilter.com I see a HQ II Portable Home Machine Frame... says "your home machine or the HQ Sixteen" so if that's what it is then yeah I reckon it can be done.
(attempted to attach: small pic of HQ II Portable Home Machine Frame)
Attached Thumbnails hq-ii-portable-home-frame.png  
Old 04-12-2023, 03:36 AM

You'll need a carriage that will fit your machine AND the frame.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:13 AM

When I converted my Tiara (Which is a Babylock re-brand of the Sweet Sixteen) to a frame, I purchased a Grace QZone Queen frame. This is an actual long arm type frame with leaders.
I had to purchase the larger carriage and the extended handles to fit the larger machine as the standard carriage wouldn't take the weight and balance of the midarm.
Maybe have a look at that frame on the Grace site and see if it gives you any ideas as to whether yours would work.
Also, your SS runs off of a foot pedal so my husband created a work around so that I could use a handle to operate the machine, rather than the foot pedal. I have a PDF of how to make it, if you ever decide to do this message me and I will send you the PDF.
So, it is possible to use your mid arm on a frame and I love mine, but it has to be robust enough to move easily and be balanced.

Watson