Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Edge finishing question.... >

Edge finishing question....

Edge finishing question....

Old 04-14-2023, 10:22 AM

Default Edge finishing question....

This is an art quilt that I've been working on for some time. It represents a journey through betrayal and grief. I did it in the confetti technique, except with larger pieces moving down to smaller pieces across the quilt. Quilted it on my long arm.
Now, I need to finish the edges but I am not sure how.
I was going to square it and face it, but I think I'd like to leave the solid fabric around the outside and somehow make some of the edges a bit ragged or uneven starting on the black fabric and then making them more whole as you travel towards the lighter fabric. I am at a loss on how to do this, however.

Any ideas appreciated.
Watson

PS...it isn't oriented correctly. The darkest part should be on the bottom left.
Attached Thumbnails griefquilt.jpg  

Last edited by Watson; 04-14-2023 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-14-2023, 10:38 AM

Wonderful expressive quilt.
As to binding, I’m feeling a new technique in the wind.

This is a vision: substitute confetti for prairie points? With a facing.

edge wrapped in confetti pieces?

Old 04-14-2023, 11:13 AM

If it is going to be hung instead of being on a bed or table, why does it need a binding? If it is a case of wanting the confetti pieces to stick straight up at the top, instead of bending over due to weight, I might blind attach them to the sleeve. Otherwise, I think I would carefully cut away the excess backing and leave well enough alone.

It is beautiful Watson. I know that a lot of anger and grief and tears went into its making. I am glad that smiles and sunshine made their way in too.
Old 04-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I was wondering if you could attach some heavy mesh to the edges and then attach the confetti so it is almost like just a few scattered leaves.
Old 04-14-2023, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful art quilt. I hope it was therapeutic to put some of those feelings into something tangible. No clue as to how to finish the edges, tho.
Old 04-14-2023, 03:45 PM

I don't even know if this would be possible, but the idea that came to me was to burn the edges of the dark area and somehow leave the edges of the light part whole? Sort of like a phoenix was rising from the ashes. ummm.... maybe guild the edges at the lighter end or add crystals?

Last edited by sewingpup; 04-14-2023 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2023, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Charred spots is an interesting idea. Not sure how you pull off a controlled burn - -
Old 04-14-2023, 04:48 PM

wonder if wetting the fabric and then just using a match or lighter to char and having a spray bottle close at hand. Would need to do trials first I think. Outside with a hose close by.
Old 04-14-2023, 04:48 PM

maybe a bit nontraditional, but if you are going to use it as a wall hanging, can you actually frame it in a large picture frame with a wide matte border, then sprinkle extra confetti pieces on the matte itself in the corners/edges as desired to give it a less clean edge.
Old 04-14-2023, 05:45 PM

I love all these unique suggestions. Looking forward to seeing how you finish this. It's beautiful now. RRyder has been posting some modern quilts lately. I hope he chimes in on his opinion.