Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Now I'm stumped... >

Now I'm stumped...

Now I'm stumped...

Old 04-26-2023, 11:32 AM

Default Now I'm stumped...

The panel arrived for the QOV that I want to make for a long time friend...colors are not was expected. The border that showed as gray on my screen is actually army green, blues are brighter and more cyan than navy, and the reds are more a dried blood red. Layed it out on my navy area rug to make sure. Nope, not what I expected! I'm afraid that adding red next to the green will make it look like Christmas. Plus I thought about adding a pieced border as on the Santa's List pattern, but now that seems over the top. So I'm completely stumped. Any thoughts? Or should I try to sell this one on FB and buy a new panel that works with the red, white, and blue theme?
Attached Thumbnails img_2322.jpg   img_2323.jpg  
Old 04-26-2023, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
The panel arrived for the QOV that I want to make for a long time friend...colors are not was expected. The border that showed as gray on my screen is actually army green, blues are brighter and more cyan than navy, and the reds are more a dried blood red. Layed it out on my navy area rug to make sure. Nope, not what I expected! I'm afraid that adding red next to the green will make it look like Christmas. Plus I thought about adding a pieced border as on the Santa's List pattern, but now that seems over the top. So I'm completely stumped. Any thoughts? Or should I try to sell this one on FB and buy a new panel that works with the red, white, and blue theme?
It great on the Navy rug, so if you like the design, don’t ditch it based on the color palette. You could do the planned border with Navy towards the inside (the white in the Santa panel border), then Red, then green (the tan in the Santa panel border). The outside border could be white or a red, white blue print.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

It looks great on my computer. If you don't like the green border, you can cut some of it off and proceed with your plan of red and blue.
Old 04-26-2023, 03:53 PM

I think if you framed it out with a neutral/white border, you could then do the border like you want (from the other picture). I can't speak to colours as monitors are so difficult to read accurately.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:15 PM

I would remove the green border fabric and add your other colors. Much less Christmas like then.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:55 PM
Power Poster

I think I would add beige and khaki/green around the panel.
Old 04-27-2023, 03:40 AM

I can understand why this might not have been what you expected as it is not the traditional red, white and blue. But I like the green. It somewhat "neutralizes" the other colors in the piece. The hard part now will be to find something that you like with it. Perhaps think that they started with the traditional colors but added a little brown or black to the dyes to get the colors that we see. What does camo do to this? Can you look for something that pulls out the colors in the eagle? Perhaps a charcoal figure. How about a darker shade of the green? It may not be what you planned but now to think outside the box .It may take awhile to see what is there as compared to what you thought it would be.
Old 04-27-2023, 05:08 AM

Oh I was looking at the Santa panel. sorry.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Use rust color not red for QOV panel. Moda Grudge has perfect colors to blend with hard to match fabrics. A solid will look to stark.
Old 04-27-2023, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I can understand why this might not have been what you expected as it is not the traditional red, white and blue. But I like the green. It somewhat "neutralizes" the other colors in the piece. The hard part now will be to find something that you like with it. It may not be what you planned but now to think outside the box .It may take awhile to see what is there as compared to what you thought it would be.
Expectations! They throw me every time.