Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Large applique project >

Large applique project

Large applique project

Old 05-10-2023, 01:13 PM

Default Large applique project

I’m doing this as a window covering in my quilting room. I’ve done quite a bit of hand appliqué but I want to machine stitch this one as it would take forever to do by hand. I’m thinking that I need a stabilizer to prevent it from stretching out of shape. I’m not sure what to use so am looking for some guidance. Do I use a tear away just behind each thing or something big enough to stay in place and cover the whole back of the white area? Are there different weights like with interfacing? I’ve tried to do some research but am not finding information for something this big. It’s mostly information on smaller blocks. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
P.S. I tried to attach a picture but it wouldn’t let me.
Old 05-10-2023, 01:54 PM

First of all, what type of fabric are you using for your window covering--the background that is. If all your fabric will be cotton, I had very good luck with using the 'freezer paper-spray starch-machine applique' method. This method produces an applique piece similar to needle turn. Mr. Google will bring up multiple YouTube tutorials if you enter those parameters.

DO NOT and I will repeat DO NOT use Heat H Bond Ultra. It has its place for sticking down stuff that will not be sewn down, but does not play at all well with sewing machine needles. Think sewing thru duck tape.

Wonder Under and Steam a Seam work well if you are planning on raw edge applique. You do not need to stick down a whole large piece. In fact some applique patterns suggest drawing the outline of the piece and then cutting out the center to be used for other pieces.

I am attaching two photos, each done with the freezer paper method. The first is curtains that I made for DGD (that is where I fell foul of the dreaded Heat N Bond and had to rethink the project. The second is a baby quilt.
Attached Thumbnails haileys-curtains-small-.jpg   img_1353-small-.jpg  
Old 05-10-2023, 02:36 PM

I’m using a high end muslin for the background of the appliqué. Basically it’s going to be a small quilt. Not curtains. I needed something to block the sunlight coming from one window because it causes my machine to cast a shadow on my pantographs and then I can’t see the lines. I have a camera set up on it so that I can quilt from the front of the machine. Your curtains that are in the first picture are similar to what I’m doing but I’m using dresdens to make a bunch of sunflowers with leaves and stems and butterflies.
I wish I could attach a picture.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:21 AM

I use newspaper as a tear-away when satin stitching applique work.