Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts made with satins?? >

quilts made with satins??

quilts made with satins??

Old 05-10-2023, 04:35 PM

Default quilts made with satins??

I am trying to make an Irish chain for my daughter with crepe backed satin and am having problems keeping the satin straight for cutting. Has anyone done something like this? If so any hints you can give me I would appreciate it. I am wondering if I need to use an iron on light pellon on the back of the pieces.

Thanks
Lynda
Old 05-11-2023, 02:38 AM

All I can offer is my experience using satin as an appliqued Sun. It did not hold up to washing.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:22 AM

Historically satin was used often in "crazy quilts" but there too the satin was not sturdy enough to hold up to even occasional washing. You can find them in antique shops with considerable damage to what was lovely dress fabrics. Using an iron on stabilizer might help with the cutting of the fabric, but I would be concerned with all the work you would put into the quilt to then not have it hold up well over time. Perhaps others will have experiences that will give you better direction.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

A stabilizer may help for cutting but try ironing it on a scrap first. The heat necessary to fuse it, may affect the satin. Slippery stuff satin, good luck!
Old 05-11-2023, 04:48 AM

I wouldn't use it, like necktie fabric, cutting is like trying to put socks on an octopus.
Think of all the blankets you've seen or had over the years with all the satin binding long gone. It just doesn't hold up.

If you Have to use it, back it with the very lightest iron-on stabilizer you can find. I did this when saving the tissue thin pieces of an antique family quilt to reconstruct into a small hanger quilt.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:51 AM

Kalama, you are a hoot! Socks on an octopus reminded me of trying to put socks on a cranky toddler. Suddenly it seems like they grow extra legs. Have a great day y'all.
Old 05-11-2023, 05:25 AM

I agree with not making a quilt with satin because it won't hold up. I did find some tips for sewing and cutting with satin. As per https://www.brother-usa.com/blogs/st...ng-with-satin# they suggest pattern weights and a rotary cutter. But is for larger pieces for garments. I also happened across a video that seemed to indicate that the seam behaves differently on the crosswise grain versus lengthwise grain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KGKcoULuFg Since you are planning on a quilt with many small pieces and seams will be going on both lengthwise and crosswise you will probably have puckers all different ways.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 05-11-2023, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I did make some pillow cases out of a heavyweight Polyester Satin that held up well for my grandsons. They loved them.

I made French seams that covered the exposed edges.

Satins do come in various fibers, weights, and qualities. Generally, they are notorious for fraying.

Check for washability and if the fabric can tolerate heat. I would avoid using a flimsy, lightweight, wrinkle prone satin.
Old 05-11-2023, 08:18 AM

If your satin is made from polyester (nearly indestructible) and you back it with a light weight interfacing as others have suggested, it should hold up. I'd do some test washing and drying to make sure.

You can do burning tests with a small sample or even threads. Light with a match and see what happens. Polyester will give an acrid smell and result in a hard black ball. Cottons with leave an ashy, feathery residue,.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:19 AM

There used to be a lightweight fusible interfacing called "Touch O' Gold" that worked with low heat and was especially good for silks and satins. It's soft and flexible and doesn't change the hand of the fabric as much as a lot of interfacings. I haven't bought any in a while so I'm not sure it's still available.

I'm not a fan of quilts make with silky or satiny fabrics, but if you are using polyester satin it should wear well. I'm not sure how quilting it will go. I've sewn on it, but not quilted.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 05-11-2023 at 10:21 AM.