Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with wool? >

What to do with wool?

What to do with wool?

Old 05-21-2023, 06:15 AM

Default What to do with wool?

I was just gifted yards and yards of expensive wool material. Two different kinds of green tartans, and one red tartan. The wool was his Scottish mother's, so I couldn't say no. It is really pretty and soft. But, other than thinking about making a small wall hanging for the person who gifted them to me, as a thank-you, I have no idea what to do with it.

I'm worried about moths, for one thing. The wool is clean, doesn't smell, has been kept folded in bolt form (without the cardboard) and it is probably (I re-folded it) close to, if not 108" wide. All together, estimating -- I'm thinking about 25 + yards. The red being about 7 yards, and one of the greens close to 10 yards, and the other green 10+ yards? Just an estimate as I'd have to measure to be sure.

I could make a quilt, but would need to add fabric and I really don't want to buy any wool fabric. Plus, I have allergies to wool. At the moment, my hands, face and eyes are itchy from refolding it and now I can feel my lips puffing up. So, that would be a nightmare in itself. So, No, No, and No!

Honestly, I don't know why I'm even writing this. Do any of you work with wool? It is so pretty and soft, not scratchy at all, but definitely wool. I just feel a sad, because I know I'll probably just be donating it.
Attached Thumbnails img_5921.jpg   img_5918.jpg  

Last edited by quiltsfor; 05-21-2023 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:32 AM

I used my mom’s felted wool to make wool slippers for people. There is a YouTube video that shows you how to do it and you can go to her website and buy her pattern, it’s inexpensive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rdNqnkWBK3w&t=801s
Old 05-21-2023, 06:33 AM

She also has other wool projects that you can do, too on her YouTube channel.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:36 AM

Old 05-21-2023, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Anything that I'm allergic to is not worth keeping just because it is good. If you don't have a group or guild to donate it to then donate to a thrift shop. It is a shame it was kept and never used. But we are all guilty of that.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:12 AM

I wouldn't have accepted it either, beautiful as it is, but I learned to say no thank you many years ago. I'll bet there is a Scots group somewhere close to you or on facebook that would love to have it for the mailing.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I wouldn't have accepted it either, beautiful as it is, but I learned to say no thank you many years ago. I'll bet there is a Scots group somewhere close to you or on facebook that would love to have it for the mailing.
I agree. It was probably intended for kilts. Hopefully, there is some Scottish group near that you could contact. Maybe highland dancing groups? I would rather donate to a group that would appreciate it more than a thrift store.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 05-21-2023, 07:37 AM

Unfortunately, I didn't have the heart to say no thanks. He is a good friend of my DH and myself and he basically just handed it into my hands and said, a gift.

I'll be donating it to a good place to someone who can use it.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I agree, special fabrics should be donated to special guilds. I had to search for group but found a place to donate military fabrics for QOV quilts. Other fabrics I just donate to thrift stores.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I was just gifted yards and yards of expensive wool material. Two different kinds of green tartans, and one red tartan. The wool was his Scottish mother's, so I couldn't say no. It is really pretty and soft. But, other than thinking about making a small wall hanging for the person who gifted them to me, as a thank-you, I have no idea what to do with it.

I'm worried about moths, for one thing. The wool is clean, doesn't smell, has been kept folded in bolt form (without the cardboard) and it is probably (I re-folded it) close to, if not 108" wide. All together, estimating -- I'm thinking about 25 + yards. The red being about 7 yards, and one of the greens close to 10 yards, and the other green 10+ yards? Just an estimate as I'd have to measure to be sure.

I could make a quilt, but would need to add fabric and I really don't want to buy any wool fabric. Plus, I have allergies to wool. At the moment, my hands, face and eyes are itchy from refolding it and now I can feel my lips puffing up. So, that would be a nightmare in itself. So, No, No, and No!

Honestly, I don't know why I'm even writing this. Do any of you work with wool? It is so pretty and soft, not scratchy at all, but definitely wool. I just feel a sad, because I know I'll probably just be donating it.

I love wool. I have a male friend that makes kilts. Like some one mentioned slippers, wool quilts etc. To be honest it is a lot in those tartan plaids. Maybe keep a yard of each and sell, trade or pass along the rest? Oh the allergies, maybe don't keep any. Would your friend know if you rehomed it?