Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Mini Iron >

Need Mini Iron

Need Mini Iron

Old 05-28-2023, 04:26 PM

Default Need Mini Iron

I looking to get a 'mini' iron to iron into tight spots with applique and tiny seams. Doing this with my regular iron just isn't cutting it.

I thought I'd ask the forum what their thoughts were on this product or if you have a different suggestion.
Clover Mini Iron II The adaptors set

Old 05-28-2023, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

I don't like being negative but I hate that thing. I burned my hand with it. I threw it out.
The concept is good but it's way too hot.
I have a small iron for the things you mentioned. I forgot the name of it though.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:31 PM

I have two. I have the clover Mini MCI-900 which is similar to the one you mentioned except mine is old and only has one ironing sole. I have used it for iron on applique of very small pieces and it worked much better for that then my big iron. It does get hot but there are temperature controls. The other mini iron I have is the Dritz Petitie Press which is a bit bigger, also has temperature controls and has a built in stand. It is also a bit harder to burn yourself on it as only the sole gets hot. I use this one when I need to press seams when doing smaller piecing as my regular iron is in the kitchen on the ironing board. I just put one of those little pressing boards next to my machine. I like both of them but use the one that works best for the project I am working on.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the input on the Clover. I'm going to keep looking. There are a lot of reviews about people getting burned on it.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 05-28-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:44 PM

Sewingpup, I looked at the Dritz Petitie Press you mentioned. It has a lot of good reviews. I watched a couple of video's as well. I'm doing some piecing and I'm having issues with my big iron getting into the narrow seam areas. The size of this one is exactly what I am looking for.
Thanks.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:25 PM

I bought the Steam Press mini iron from walmart a while back. Just like a regular iron, only 1/4 size. Use it all the time. but have never put water in it. I have a regular size iron if I need steam.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:10 PM

I needed to get a narrow sole plate. I thought about just getting a small travel iron, but the sole plate size was still too big and wide.

The Dritz sole plate is about an inch wide and about 2" long. It will be perfect for what I want to use it for.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:15 PM

I use it, but like others said, it can get very hot… I rested a part I thought wasn’t hot on a plastic bin, and it melted a few inches down before I noticed….
Old 05-29-2023, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by LogCabin82 View Post
I use it, but like others said, it can get very hot… I rested a part I thought wasn’t hot on a plastic bin, and it melted a few inches down before I noticed….
Some of the reviews of the Clover II also stated that they had problems with the rest/stand collasping. When I was thinking about getting it, I thought about getting the red stand for it, (shown in a video I watched) but I'm not sure they make it anymore as the two places I found it, it was out of stock, and a third place, on Esty, someone had it for about triple the price. The stand that comes with it made it sound a bit dangerous, especially since my back is toward my ironing station when I am sewing at my machine, besides the numerous reviews of burn hazards for fingers/hands,.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:26 AM

I'm looking forward to getting the Dritz Petit Press. I ordered it last night.