Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Problem - Help! >

Sewing Machine Problem - Help!

Sewing Machine Problem - Help!

Old 05-29-2023, 03:25 PM

Default Sewing Machine Problem - Help!

Hello everyone,
Coming here to the QB to ask for some help - a friend bought a Husqvarna Ruby sewing machine. It had been serviced about three years ago but not used much by the previous owner (she got it during Covid and just didn't get started with it). My friend brought it home, and set it up. Whenever she starts to sew (plain straight stitching), it does a few stitches, shuts down, restarts on it's own, does a few more stitches and shuts down a second time.
Any idea what could be going on? Any help appreciated. We both know the seller and she is an honest lady, and would not have knowingly sold a machine that was defective.
Thank you in advance....
Old 05-29-2023, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

The only time I had a Bernina machine continue sewing on its own, was when I had to replace the foot pedal.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:40 PM

It is definitely something in the electrical system. Make sure the cords are solidly in the machine, These are not designed for user servicing, so you will need to take it in if the connections are all tight.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:17 PM

Could be the brushes wearing out, motor connection. Check all wiring.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:45 AM

I have a 2002 & a 2003 Brother ULT …both sew/embroider machines, that cycled on and off, sewing only 2-3 stitches before repeating the on/ off, on/ off cycle. I took the 2002 , my favorite, to local repair and he cleaned the contact points. No fix. So I then I drove almost 200 miles RT to nearest “brand” shop where I was told the power supply unit was the problem, bu “unfortunately the part is no longer available”. Believing the dealer I bought from could perform magic, I drove even farther only to have contact points cleaned again. The machine sewed again…for approx 6 hrs before it died..dead! I’m still sewing on my 2001 ULT, and I’ve considered moving its PSU to the 2002 model, but if something goes wrong in the transfer, I’ve lost another machine. Alas! I’ve searched ‘high and low’ for the Brother or Babylock PSU— to no avail.
I suspect your friends machine may have the same problem, but it’s worth asking for the contacts to be cleaned before giving up.
So sorry. Good luck.

Old 05-30-2023, 06:43 AM

Did you try a different outlet? Also, don't forget that modern sewing machines are computers and should always be plugged into a surge protector. Good luck. I hope you find the solution.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:40 AM

I had a Pfaff passport 2.0. It would start on its own and one time it would not stop running at full speed until I pulled the plug. Other times, all the lights would lite up and I could change settings, but it just simply would not stitch. Brought it to the dealer, he troubleshooted it. I would not misbehave for him. He did blow out all the contacts and said that even a speck of dust could mess it up the circuit boards. I still have it, I don't use it. I should just junk it. I would try bringing it to a Viking Dealer first even though there will be a charge.
Old 06-25-2023, 03:06 PM

Well - the full story now.... the friend took the machine to a local guy who used to work in the industry (until closing/merging stores led him to a different line of work). He fixes machines as a side job now. He found a pinched wire near the motherboard that seemed to be the problem. When he unpinched the wire, it performed flawlessly....
Old 06-25-2023, 03:13 PM

Thank you, for posting the good news.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 06-25-2023, 04:40 PM

Here ya go Mermaid. https://www.ebay.com/p/99033987

Great news Elaine.