Dressmaker ID help

Old 06-11-2023, 12:49 PM

Default Dressmaker ID help

Attachment 644363

I was given an old sewing machine that was going to be thrown away because it's "too heavy". It ran really bad at first but after some oil and tensioning the belt it's working well enough! I had never used a sewing machine until this one so forgive my likely misuse of terms.

I wouldn't say it's the same machine but I was able to use this great video about a "Model 160" to learn how to load the bobbin and thread the needle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjZ6LpthQMY. I understand that it's difficult to track down information about Dressmakers. It seems like they've been made for decades, under many different models, by different companies, and maybe some of this was happening at the same times. I don't have any specific reason that I need to know more information about this machine but I'm really enjoying using it and was just curious to learn about it's history.

Attachment 644364
Here's what I thought the model number was, but I can't find any information on a 989 or 989537 dressmaker. There's also some marking on the underside that I can't really make out.
Attachment 644368Attachment 644369
And lastly there's the label on the motor, which might not be original because the paint is coming off of the motor and doesn't exactly match the color.
Attachment 644370
Any additional information would be awesome and I appreciate any help! Thanks!
Old 06-12-2023, 07:47 AM

Welcome. Unfortunately the pictures of your particular machine are not showing. This could be that the "Upload" button was not clicked on, or it could be that you previewed your post before actually posting. When you preview your post the pictures vanish into cyber space, so do not preview your post. You do have 20 minutes to edit your post after it is posted.

It is quite possible that there is a J-A or J-C with a number after it, somewhere on the machine.

As you have found that there as not a lot of specific information on these vintage machines.

Good to hear that you have a good working machine and are enjoying working on it.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 06-12-2023, 07:55 AM

Oh yeah I previewed my post. I can't really tell what the black stamped letters are but I think I see a JC.

Let me try the pictures again
pxl_20230611_195825441%7E2.jpg
pxl_20230611_193844382.jpg
pxl_20230611_195811444.jpg
pxl_20230611_195758426.jpg
pxl_20230611_201403386.jpg
Old 06-12-2023, 09:20 AM

Thank you. I'm not remembering one quite like it. It looks like it may take cams to make decorative stitches. Did you get any cams or a manual with it? I'm guessing not, basing that on how you came upon the machine.

There has been some speculation on some of the manufacturers of these Japanese machines based on some of the details. However, the JC 17 has not been identified per http://www.doubleveil.net/zssmp/resources.htm#jajc

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 06-12-2023, 02:17 PM

The big knob in the upper left looks to be stitch width, for zigzagging. The control right below that, labeled 1 2 3 4 0 I think might be for making button holes, leaving it at 0 for regular sewing. The big knob to the right of that should be stitch length which would change the numbers on the gauge right above it. It also appears that below the Reverse button you have a Left Center Right switch to change the needle position.