Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How to Remove the Balance Wheel off of Model 12 >

How to Remove the Balance Wheel off of Model 12

How to Remove the Balance Wheel off of Model 12

Old 06-20-2023, 05:15 PM

Default How to Remove the Balance Wheel off of Model 12

I'm trying to remove the balance wheel from my machine. It is the type where it has the pull and twist knob and the notch fits into the slots. I understand that the "middle ring" has to be twisted clock-wise to unscrew it. I've applied heat and two different penetrating oils to it. The notch to tap on is in an awkward position and I can't get the ring to budge. Surely, when Singer designed this thing, that workers were not using a hammer and some kind of small bar to unscrew this thing. Did they have a special tool that could latch into the notch that allowed them to unscrew it?
Attached Thumbnails 20230620_195553-medium-.jpg  
Old 06-20-2023, 05:56 PM

????????????? maybe a spanner wrench ??????????????
https://navyaviation.tpub.com/14310/...renches-36.htm

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 06-20-2023, 07:21 PM

I have found some information off site that indicates removing the hand wheel is very difficult, and not recommended, for the Singer 12. (Janey, the Singer 15-1 1883 Doubts thread from Andy Y.)recommended

I will pm the info to you.

Old 06-21-2023, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
I'm trying to remove the balance wheel from my machine. It is the type where it has the pull and twist knob and the notch fits into the slots. I understand that the "middle ring" has to be twisted clock-wise to unscrew it. I've applied heat and two different penetrating oils to it. The notch to tap on is in an awkward position and I can't get the ring to budge. Surely, when Singer designed this thing, that workers were not using a hammer and some kind of small bar to unscrew this thing. Did they have a special tool that could latch into the notch that allowed them to unscrew it?
Are you trying to get the piece with the V notch to unscrew? Are you sure it's a left hand thread? ("twisted clock-wise to unscrew")

I can't imagine a heat gun would be too aggressive. I suppose you could blister the paint if you tried but caution should kick in well before then.

I might be inclined to put a small pipe wrench on it, well padded with some veg tanned leather, and tap the handle with a small mallet. If I were certain which way it unscrews. It's possible I'd block it internally with a piece if wood to keep it from turning but then it gets a lot more delicate not to use too much force.