Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
"Charming" now quilted, but a question on binding >

"Charming" now quilted, but a question on binding

"Charming" now quilted, but a question on binding

Old 06-25-2023, 08:55 AM

Default "Charming" now quilted, but a question on binding

Here is the latest quilt that I quilted using my new-to-me computer programmed longarm. The whole process went well, except that the design is wiggly or wonky in places. I have to figure out why this is happening. It's still better than I could have done with a pantogram, however.

I do have a question though. Do you stretch your binding when applying it? This quilt was perfectly flat until I put the binding on. Now it ripples a bit. Should I be stretching the binding as I sew it on? Do you?

Attached Thumbnails img_1288.jpeg  
Old 06-25-2023, 09:07 AM

I do not strech the binding. I cut it to fit the quilt.
Old 06-25-2023, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

You have a lovely quilt and gives me inspiration for a scrappy future quilt. So sorry, for you and your disappointment with the binding.

For me, it's just a slight stretch. More so, it's probably not really stretched, but to fit taut with the quilt edge. Otherwise, too tight and you'll end up with your reverse ripple effect, and with a quilt that will not lay flat. Many quilts later, and I have had no problems with a good flat quilt post-binding, and post-laundering.

What works for me is a well prepared binding. Pre-washed fabric (as are all of my quilt fabrics) cut into even strips, joined on the bias. Then pressed well with Best Press, and press folded before stitching to the quilt edge. Then hand stitched in place.
Old 06-25-2023, 09:21 AM

I never stretch the binding. I lay it gently on and use a walking foot. I always make more than I need so I have enough to finish the quilt without worrying about it.

Watson
Old 06-25-2023, 09:35 AM

I cut my bindings on the straight of grain and that keeps it flat for me.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

I use bias binding - and I have it lay taut/smooth against the quilt - so maybe I stretch it a tiny amount.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:14 AM

Pretty Quilt!

I don’t stretch the binding when sewing it onto the quilt. I do stay-stitch the outer edges around the quilt before sewing the binding on it.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:45 AM

First of all, that's a beautiful quilt. When I put on my binding I don't stretch it but I do a stay stitch on my edges and glue baste like Sharon Schambler.
Old 06-25-2023, 11:15 AM

When I was a 'new' quilter, many of my quilt bindings seemed stretched like that. I figured out that I was letting the weight of the quilt sliding off my lap while sewing the binding on was stretching the quilt edges and the binding. Now I keep a chair next to me to hold the weight of the quilt while binding.
Old 06-25-2023, 11:32 AM

I never stretch my binding and like Watson I use a walking foot. Even when I put it on when it’s on the frame I don’t stretch it, then I finish it off on my regular machine.