Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feel like I'm going to be sick... >

Feel like I'm going to be sick...

Feel like I'm going to be sick...

Old 06-27-2023, 11:03 AM

Default Feel like I'm going to be sick...

Last week my aunt called me out of the blue (after not talking to them in 13 years, we've never been close) she said she was visiting my uncle (my mom has two brothers so he's her BIL) and saw the quilts I made for him and his wife and LOVED LOVED them, and asked if I'd repair a quilt for her that my grandmother (her MIL) made MANY years ago (probably in the 50's maybe? She has no clue when it was made and doesn't even have her name on it which is odd so we think it might have been one of her first quilts, which might mean way older than the 50's) I got it in the mail yesterday (sent in just a thin bad padded envelope that was torn open (and it was pouring rain, thankfully I met the mail driver and got it right from her with no damage or even rain drops on it!! sigh. I'll be sending it back in a plastic bag in a box)) I have her permission to do whatever I want to it. I was originally thinking of patching with some solids (there are solids in the fabrics) but once I looked the whole back is in ok shape, so I might patch with bits of the back fabric, then patch with the solids on the back where they won't be as noticeable since everyone always looks at the front more. The binding is frayed on the whole thing so I might have to do all new binding. Not sure if there is enough of the back to do binding too, probably not it's fairly small and I don't want to pick the whole sandwich apart to use the whole panel I won't chance further damage to the front! It's in pretty bad shape, like bad bad.

But looking at this fragile old thing (and thinking of my grandmother who passed away in 08, and was the one who taught me to sew/quilt when I was little) and thinking of cutting into it and trying to do something I've NEVER done before makes me want to puke.

I just need to reassurance that I can do this, and even if it's not great, the end result will still be loved. But man, my heart....
Old 06-27-2023, 11:57 AM

You can do this. I was asked to do repair on a quilt once. Too many pieces were deteriorating. One thing I wish I had thought to do- press the quilt as best I could. That would have put the pieces into shape rather than scrunched and pulled

good luck with this project of love. Think of Grandma with every stitch you do 😊❣️
Old 06-27-2023, 12:06 PM

Your grandma willl be there watching over you and guiding your hand. You can do this...take your time and a deep breath or two and then start in.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:40 PM

1) You absolutely can do this
2) Applique
3) maybe redo the backing, quilting and binding

4) your absentee relative will probably not fully appreciate the work involved. (Not that most people really do) but especially since she just jammed it into an inadequate envelope. But you can honor your GRANDMOTHER. Even if your relative sounds....kinda like a "Wedding and Funeral" family member
Old 06-27-2023, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
1) You absolutely can do this
2) Applique
3) maybe redo the backing, quilting and binding

4) your absentee relative will probably not fully appreciate the work involved. (Not that most people really do) but especially since she just jammed it into an inadequate envelope. But you can honor your GRANDMOTHER. Even if your relative sounds....kinda like a "Wedding and Funeral" family member

exactly, the last time I saw/talked to her was at my grandfather's funeral in 2010.

And thank you everyone! I needed the lift. I'm still scared to make the first cut, but I think I'll be ok. haha.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:39 PM

I think this is a very exciting thing you get to do. I haven't any quilty ancestors but love imagining the stories behind old quilts. The process of handling this heirloom and engaging with your grandmother's work will be a beautiful journey for you. Enjoy the experience and the connection to your past!
Old 06-27-2023, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

I am going to be the "downer" on this thread.

If you WANT to do this - good luck and God Bless You!

However, if you are feeling like you have been backed into a corner, you can always say something like "This quilt has given long and faithful service. I think we should honor it by retiring it."

And then return it to her, properly packaged!

If you have already agreed to try to fix/restore/repair it - you can tell her that after looking the quilt over again carefully, that it would be more work than you anticipated and that it is not in your best interest to tackle the job - ever.

If you want to go the extra mile, you can give her suggestions for other people that might consider doing the job.

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-27-2023 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-27-2023, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

I'm with BearIsGray on this one.

IMHO, this is a very risky task to take on, GardenGirl1331.
Not just for the age and fragility of this quilt, but by whom you have been asked.

From what you said, you have no true trust/confidence/relationship with this person.
To me, that also says, you don't know how sincere she was about your decisions and the outcome.

She clearly did not say to you ... Here's the quilt. I don't want it. Do as you want, as it will mean more to you. I never want to see it again!

It's risky! If she is not happy with the results, there may be more hard feelings than you would like, want or need. And more familial distance created, despite your best efforts.

While your may be in it for your Grandmother, I would caution you to really think ... is it worth it?

Good Luck ... whatever your decision is.

Last edited by QuiltE; 06-27-2023 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:37 PM

I'm with the naysayers on this. I would let her know that it is in too bad of shape for it to be repaired. Then ask if she wants it back or if she wants you not to bother returning it. If it is the latter, then you can keep the quilt as it is, as a memory of your Grandmother. If she wants it back then you can know that your Grandmother is most certainly agreeing with you, in spirit, not to try to repair it, and not being upset with you over someone who you are not close to and hasn't talked to you in 13 years. Who knows, maybe she suddenly found it in the attic after who knows how many years and wants you to fix it so she can sell it as an antique.... just saying.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 06-27-2023 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:43 PM

I have repaired old quilts with applique. But its not easy and I wasn't really thrilled with the outcome. Do you think there is enough good spots to make pillows out of? that would be a way to keep the memory and a tangible memory