Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Fan Advice >

Grandmother's Fan Advice

Grandmother's Fan Advice

Old 07-05-2023, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Best tip I have is to use a Go. Many libraries have them now to use or check out. I have the Grandmother's Fan die for my Go. It finishes at 9". I had throw size quilt cut in just a few minutes. The units sewed together perfectly. If there is a die for the quilt I'm making I buy if the library doesn't have it.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-05-2023 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:02 AM

The Grandmother's Fan template from Martelli I believe finishes up as a 12" block according to their video.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:05 PM

I am making a throw size Grandmother's Fan using the Martelli templates. Super easy. Watched the You Tube video they have for hints when cutting out the pieces.
Old 07-06-2023, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by JackieQuilts View Post
I am making a throw size Grandmother's Fan using the Martelli templates. Super easy. Watched the You Tube video they have for hints when cutting out the pieces.
And she also has great advice on sewing the curves on the video, as well. Especially when sewing the different pieces because you match them up and sew them differently to make it easier. There is a special pressure foot demo/ad in the middle from them that you can either watch or skip over, and the video resumes after it.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 07-06-2023 at 02:41 AM.
Old 07-08-2023, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
And she also has great advice on sewing the curves on the video, as well. Especially when sewing the different pieces because you match them up and sew them differently to make it easier. There is a special pressure foot demo/ad in the middle from them that you can either watch or skip over, and the video resumes after it.
Yes, the sewing demonstration was really helpful. This is probably the easiest quilt I've ever made and it looks way more time consuming than it is. Templates are totally worth the cost.
Old 07-08-2023, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by JackieQuilts View Post
Yes, the sewing demonstration was really helpful. This is probably the easiest quilt I've ever made and it looks way more time consuming than it is. Templates are totally worth the cost.
I second it, that the Templates are totally worth the cost.
Old 07-08-2023, 03:50 AM

I'll agree that the Martelli templates help to make an easy quilt block...just wish they also carried this template set in a small size also. Not everyone wants to make 12" blocks.
Old 07-08-2023, 05:47 AM

Same here - I've been trying to find 10", 8" and 6" GF Templates, because I was also thinking of doing a quilt with different size fans scattered in it. But for now, I'll be doing the 12" blocks that finish to 11.5"
Old 07-08-2023, 05:50 AM

I found one with the different sizes (10/8/6) on Amazon, called Crazy Fan Templates, but the third party has not so good ratings. So, definitely a no there for me. I don't want to chance it.
Old 11-19-2023, 05:15 AM

Quilt guild member showed her Grandmothers Fan that had rickrack sewed on both ends of wedges. Loved it.