Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whatcha Sewing this week/weekend  July 7- ? >

Whatcha Sewing this week/weekend July 7- ?

Whatcha Sewing this week/weekend July 7- ?

Old 07-09-2023, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
That Meadowland quilt is beyond cute. I grew up on a farm, but no silo.

hray, those birds are gorgeous. We have always had 4 or 5 bird feeding stations around the house, but not this year because of the bird disease that is causing chicken farms to be culled in the millions. I have 6 hens and wanted to protect them. We miss the birds terribly though.

ashley, be careful with the yellow powder that goes with the pounce system, when that came out there were a lot of mentions that it wouldn't wash out.

Lena, we used to tell ourselves we aren't 18 anymore, we've moved it to 25 now, wink wink. We had our house painted this month, SO beautiful. A 2 story A-frame I've painted by brush twice...no, I'm not 25 anymore, but when I was I wouldn't have been able to afford to have it done.

I'm so envious of those of you that have quilting machines. I have made my peace with doing quilts that are no more than 40" wide on my Janome though, and I make quilts that take a long time to finish so have also made my peace with making double sided quilts and sending them out
25! Heck I would be happy with 50! LOL
Old 07-09-2023, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Anything that keeps us in our happy place and serves us well is to be considered.
Amen to that!

I found an electric Accuquilt on sale from a vendor in Arizona and bought it! Now I have to look for the dies I need.

Cam's gram, I'm glad to hear you like your Accuquilt!

hray, that looks beautiful. I love your choice of green background. I believe I would do echo quilting around the birds, and maybe quilt right on the lines of the petals (without worrying about being too accurate).

SusieQOH, the Meadowland quilt is adorable!

Old 07-09-2023, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
25! Heck I would be happy with 50! LOL
well at 71, so would I, but considering I've had cancer 3 times since 2013 and am losing my sight, I am one happy camper, 25 or not. there are many ways to adapt, and I'm working hard at --insert song--- Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive

OK, since we've talked last, I've made another 10 selvedge blocks, so stinking cute, and ta-da, FIVE design boards.
It only took 2 minutes a board to lay down glue and smooth and trim. Another 10 to add the rickrack which I've had FOREVER and will happily now trash the scraps. Note the prices on the labels!
About 2 bucks a board on sale, the batting was left over from a temporary design wall when I was away from home caring for my FIL for 2.5 years, the glue I had. Easy Peasy if you need any or want to make a cute gift for a friend.
Attached Thumbnails design-board1.jpg   designboards-2.jpg  
Old 07-09-2023, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
I made a design board using foam core cut to the size you like, place a piece of cotton batting on one side and cover edges with pretty duck tape. The tape holds the cotton batting to the board and dresses it up a bit. I've used mine for 6 years and it still works fine. Mine is 14" x 14".
where did you get the foam core?
Old 07-09-2023, 03:01 PM

I haven’t made a whole lot of time to spend stitching this weekend, but have a couple hours hand quilting on my queen size All about Bears quilt. It is an ongoing project.
Attached Thumbnails img_1785.jpeg  
Old 07-09-2023, 08:56 PM

Oh Kalama, those design boards are so cute! I also have some rickrack I want to use up (and have never found anything 'just right' to use it on) this will be perfect, thanks!

This long hot summer I've been working on a sampler quilt, I may call it Everything, everywhere, all at once (is that phrase taken?? ), all the pieces and blocks are done, now to figure out how to fit non-matching sizes together that doesn't look like I just scattered them on the floor and sewed them where they fell. lol

Cash'sMom - a/c problems in this heat? Egads, I so feel for you. Last summer we had to spend a weekend in a motel when a capacitor in ours went out - another week of 100's coming, I hope you can get yours working well.
Old 07-09-2023, 09:11 PM

I got my scrappy quilt top done and made a couple hair scrunchies. Next I need to clear off the tables so I can sandwich and quilt my king size bed quilt.

I also pulled some fabrics that I used on the Jen Kingwell quilt top. I've decided it needs borders and I want to do scrappy borders using fabrics from the quilt. I'll probably take that along to my quilting bee on Wed and start cutting and sewing those.
Old 07-10-2023, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
No sewing today, but I will be cutting out a chandelier quilt that should have been gifted in June to a high school graduate. Oh, well. it's too warm for it now anyway!

Might do some straight line cross-hatch quilting on a donation quilt today or add a binding to another. We shall see!
The chandelier quilt blocks are about half finished. I now understand why so many quilts using this pattern showed up in photos a short while back. Easy and fast and good way to show off focus fabric. Chain piecing makes it a breeze.

I need to find just a few additional fabrics to expand the quilt to a larger size without so many repeats of fabric. I used a layer cake from Maywood, Lavender Sachet. Lovely but many repeats of the same fabric in the layer cake. Like, 3 or 4 per fabric. It was a gift, so I am just going to add a couple of coordinating solids to provide more variety.

Never touched the quilting projects. Tomorrow is another day!
Old 07-10-2023, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
where did you get the foam core?
Most likely the Dollar Tree but Walmart carries it as do Michael's. It's about 18" x 24" and I cut it into quarters to make my mini design boards.
Old 07-10-2023, 04:37 AM

Well, today I will finish using washable marker to remark the stencil on my quilt. The white Pounce worked on solid background of blocks, but not on the multi colored area.