Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two batting related questions >

Two batting related questions

Two batting related questions

Old 07-14-2023, 03:29 AM

Question Two batting related questions

First on my inquiry list is batting purchased from Walmarts website. I'm near the end of being able to piece all of my Warm and Natural scraps together and need to stock up again. Wondering which batting you use from there and why? I realize that JoAnns also carries Warn and Natural, but even with a coupon, they are higher than I sometimes want to pay.

Second question pertains to those who have a mid-arn or long arm on a frame and use batting by the roll. I have the Grace SRll with a frame. Would love to purchase batting by the roll and simple store it on brackets with the frame. This way I could simply put my backing piece on the frame, unroll the batting needed and put the filmsy top on and go. Easier than crawling around the floor to cut my batting to size. Has anyone ADDED brackets to their frame legs? What is the best way to go doing this? Once again, thanks to everyone for their help.
Old 07-14-2023, 03:43 AM

MORNING
I have never purchased the batting from Walmart so no help there .
I do buy the roll from Joanns. The roll is folded in half and for some quilts, to get the width, you have to unfold it. So i am not always able to just pull it up from the roll and use it
But for a smaller size that i want it doubled, it works great that way!
On my frame i do have the bar down below to put the roll of batting on. I like it just to keep it off the floor. That is a big old roll to store anywhere!
Old 07-14-2023, 04:06 AM
Administrator

it's been a while since i needed to buy any but i have ordered batting online through walmart.
the prices were competitive. i've never had a complaint.
Old 07-14-2023, 04:15 AM

I can answer the Walmart question. I have purchased Warm and White from there twice. It's the same as J's. I purchase the roll from whoever is the cheapest including shipping. Their online store is from several different sources. Not from a Walmart warehouse that I can tell. It comes in a Warm and Natural box and is identical when I have ordered. Sometimes, J's is cheaper when they are 50% off and free shipping. I just check several times and go with the least. Either way it comes straight to my door. A win - win.
Old 07-14-2023, 04:59 AM

I used to use W&N from JoAnn'es until I moved to Iowa to a small town where the nearest JoAnne's is about 65 miles away. I haven't tryed Walmart's yet but I have used their stabilizers for my embroideries and I normally just buy the whole bolt when I can find it. In my town, that's not easy either.

As to buying a bolt/roll of batting, I buy the king size as most of my quilts are over 105" and it comes folded in half so having the batting attached to your frame wouldn't be as easy as you think as you'd have to unfold it. My sewing room is in the basement with open rafters so I attached hangers above my cutting table and hung the roll above. I have an extra long metal ruler that I use to cut the batting by adding clamps to hold the ruler while I cut across my 4x8 cutting table. Keeps the excess batting out of my way being above and it's at the end of the table so I won't hit my head on it.

My quilt frame is 12ft and I have plastic rolling carts under it to store fabrics, stablizers, etc so no place to add another pole for the batting anyway. The other side has totes full of fabric I haven't found room to put up on the shelves yet. And here I thought my basement would be large enough for my sewing room after using an extra bedroom that was only 10x18 way back when I lived in Florida. Boy was I wrong. The more room you have, the more stuff your collect it seems.
Attached Thumbnails fabric-room-1-2017.jpg  
Old 07-14-2023, 05:05 AM

you have to buy by the package or by the roll in my Walmart. No workers. I got a great sale at JoAnn's and bought three queen size Warm and Natural from them. I usually don't check their prices but was happy I did that time.
Old 07-14-2023, 05:26 AM

Default Batting question

I have also purchased the roll of batting from Walmart. It's not available in the store, but can be ordered and delivered to the store. No complaints here. I too would like to store the roll under my table, but also ran into the issue of it being folded. So, it sits in my spare bedroom under a blanket till needed......
Old 07-14-2023, 05:44 AM

Wow, that looks like a store, fun place to be.
Old 07-14-2023, 07:08 AM

Wow, Snooze 2978 that is quite the sewing area!
Old 07-14-2023, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

I have multiple rolls of different types and colors of batting. When I see a really good sale on batting, I will usually buy some. I use mostly W&N, W&W, and S&B. I also use black batting by the roll. I store some, standing on end, in a closet in a guest room near my sewing room. When I need to cut the batting to length, I lay the roll on the table of my 12' frame, with the end coming off the bottom of the roll toward me as I stand at the back of the frame. I pull out enough so that the place to cut is on the table, where I have several cutting mats placed end to end. I can easily cut the folded batting using rulers and a rotary cutter. Storing under the table wouldn't work for me, since I have Ikea cabinets there that hold thread and other supplies. I make mostly big quilts, and often have to sew pieces of 90" batting together.