Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Southern Sandwiches >

Southern Sandwiches

Southern Sandwiches

Old 07-14-2023, 09:09 AM

Default Southern Sandwiches

I was snooping around for recipe on Southern Living website and I found an article about weird sandwiches of the South. https://www.southernliving.com/weird...wiches-7556056

Southern food is just so scrumptious and yummy, if not always the lowest in fat and calories. They listed about 6 or 7 sandwiches and they all had lots and lots of mayonnaise. There was the tomato sandwich, the pineapple sandwich, the sweet onion sandwich...etc. About the 8th sandwich, what the heck, they just skipped all of the other ingredients and created a "Mayonnaise Sandwich."
Old 07-14-2023, 09:38 AM

I have had the tomato sandwich, the fried bologna sandwich (my favorite btw, except switched out mayo for mustard). My ex-Mom in law and I made the peanut butter and banana sandwich one time, a tad to sweet for me she loved it though. Catfish sandwiches are to die for. Never even thought of trying the mayo sandwich.

Those ham salad sandwiches I won't eat ever, in my youth I spent a few days in the pokey, these were offered at lunch......lol
Old 07-14-2023, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

We had hard boiled egg sandwiches with pickles and cucumber almost everyday in the summer growing up in rural AR. A platter of them were always in the fridge. Also peanut butter with sliced onion and sliced tomato on toasted white bread. The three ingredients make a new flavor, you don't taste either one, hard to explain. Mayo wasn't used that much. We used a lot of cream cheese and soft cheeses.
Old 07-14-2023, 03:07 PM
Administrator

peanut butter with sliced onion?
[gasp!] lol

i'm curious but not sure i'm adventurous enough to try that.

i grew up in the northeast and had most of those sandwiches there. i didn't realize they were considered "southern."
ya learn somthin' new every day. :-)
Old 07-14-2023, 07:07 PM

In my Scandinavian home, sandwiches were only served “open face”. Mother’s chickens produced a lot of eggs and she made egg salad often.
I’ve not eaten a “mayonnaise sandwich” for about 65 years but that was my frequent “after school snack.”
Our neighbor eats his braunschweiger sandwich with a thin slice of onion & a dot of mustard.
Old 07-14-2023, 10:18 PM
Power Poster

Here in Mississippi we eat cucumber sandwiches, egg salad, chicken salad, and pimento cheese. Hot ham and cheese, served on pull-apart sweet buns, are often seen at parties, too.
Old 07-15-2023, 03:46 AM

Thank you for the morning giggle. I have heard of most of these southern delights but only eaten the "funeral sandwich", ham salad and egg salad. I have read about fried bologna sandwich in the Jan Karon Mitford Series, Duley's favorite! Ready to try most of the "scrumptious and yummy" choices...... except onions or tomatoes. Now, I am hungry. Arugh!!!! Where is the mayo?
Old 07-15-2023, 04:46 AM

Here in South Texas, my favorite sandwich is Schlotzsky's! I think they're only in Texas; they originated in Austin. Turkey original!!!
https://www.schlotzskys.com/menu/sandwiches
Old 07-15-2023, 05:27 AM

I've heard of, and had, most of those. No pineapple sandwiches, and I probably won't. Although I think a slice of pineapple might be good on a ham sandwich...

I'll definitely pass on the mayo sandwich. Just gross. I'm not a big fan of mayo in general. If I order a sub, for example, I ask for it with a thin layer, and if I make macaroni salad, it's fairly dry. Hate it gloppy and mushy.

No offense, Onebyone, but I'm passing on that pb and onion!

I do love a good tomato sandwich, when fresh tomatoes are in season. One of the best things in summer!
Old 07-15-2023, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

There are Schlotzsky's in AR. The food is better then the regular fast food. The last time I was there it seemed the sandwich fillings were not as much as before and the prices are higher.