Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
"Serenity" an Asian Panel quilt completed >

"Serenity" an Asian Panel quilt completed

"Serenity" an Asian Panel quilt completed

Old 07-16-2023, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Default "Serenity" an Asian Panel quilt completed

Many years ago I participated in the QB Secret Santa gift exchange and among the treasures I received from my Secret Santa was this panel as well as a fat quarter of the gray print I put on either side of the panel. I spent a couple of years collecting other fabrics to go with as well as raiding my stash (the Asian floral used in the border was from stash) and then making it. I started the quilting in 2019 and finished some time in 2020. I posted a sneak preview here. Serenity an Asian panel quilt in progress - Quiltingboard Forums

After Covid restrictions lifted, I entered it in my local quilt show in Bennington Vt. in 2022. It took first place people's choice and also a vendors choice ribbon. Bennington is a non-judged show, only Peoples choice and every vendor also awards a ribbon to their favorite quilt. A combo of fusible raw edge applique (patterns used from the book Circles of the East) and hand stitched Sashiko blocks surround the panel along with an elaborately quilted sashing. Most of the Sashiko were preprinted with the design so I could teach myself the sashiko stitch. One I made up myself, the Koi pictured. All quilted on my Innova longarm. A mix of free motion and ruler work. Sorry no back shot. I used a print that didn't show any of the quilting.

Techy details:
Pattern, none, I made it up but used the aforementioned resources to create the blocks.
Thread: I used Monopoly monofiliment to outline all the panel elements and ditch all the applique, Invisfil in navy (in the panel) and in teal to do quilting of the the applique. Glide in colors white, candy apple red, pink, and thyme. Magnaglide prewound bobbins in color white for the whole thing.
Batting: Hobbs Polydown
Time spent quilting: 92 hours but I had a few hour ripping session in that figure where I was not happy with the tension on the navy pumpkin seed quilting in the panel. I was much happier with it after ripping it and redoing it.

Attached Thumbnails full-shot.jpg   sashiko-koi-resized.jpg   panel-closeup-resized.jpg   applique-resized.jpg  
Old 07-16-2023, 10:52 AM

First, welcome back! It is so good to see you and to see your work, you are a fabulous quilter and I have missed seeing your creations. This is simply superb, proof indeed that quilting does indeed bring to life the creations we make, stunning! Looking forward to seeing more in the future.
Old 07-16-2023, 06:16 PM

Congratulations on the ribbons/awards! It’s a beautiful quilt.
Old 07-16-2023, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

Lovely quilt and quilting!
Old 07-16-2023, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

This is spectacular! The quilting is wonderfully thought out and done, and I love the border too. The Sashiko and applique blocks are perfect with the panel. No wonder you got awards!
Old 07-17-2023, 06:40 AM

I agree! Your quilt is spectacular. Beautifully done!
Old 07-17-2023, 01:09 PM

Feline! Glad you're back. This quilt is stunning. I love the Sashiko stitching and as always, your quilting is superb.

Rob
Old 07-17-2023, 05:38 PM

Gorgeous quilt. Congratulations on the ribbons.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:25 PM

That's just beautiful! You did a great job on all of it.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:22 AM

Welcome back Feline. You apparently have gotten even better with your quilting than you were. Great to see your still at it.