Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Book of Stitches >

Book of Stitches

Book of Stitches

Old 07-19-2023, 11:59 AM

Question Book of Stitches

Has anyone made a book of stitches that their machines can sew out? I was at a class this past weekend, and the woman presenting recommended making a Stitch Book. I liked the idea, so I looked online, and found one that uses muslin, tear away, card stock, and you put them in business card sheets and store them in a binder. If you have done this, I wondered which business card sheets would be best - heavy duty. The ones I looked at look flimsy. Any suggestions?
Old 07-19-2023, 12:12 PM

I have two Stitch books for both machines that I own that has decorative stitching, one machine does monogramming, so I added the letters and symbols in with it, too. I used Muslin, a pretty blue thread and then a really stiff interfacing so the stitches wouldn't bunch up. I did the smallest stich length up to the largest stitch length so I could see the differences and I can make my decision quicker. I used grommets on mine, then tied it up with some ribbon and used a couple of mat boards like you get when you get a picture framed to keep the Muslin and the stitches clean, so instead of buying a new binder, I just made the book with what I had on hand, much cheaper to do.

It's worth putting the time into it. Right now, mine are stored in Ziploc bags in another room because I'm just not using them, but I know where they are and can pull them out when I need them.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:35 PM

Bernina machine guide classes used to have you do this. I still have the ones for my Artista. It's a very good tool! I have also stitched out a sample when I changed the settings on a stitch. I then labelled it as to which stitch and what the settings were. It makes it really easy to go back and use a stitch you liked.
Old 07-19-2023, 01:04 PM

I have done this with all of my machines since I got my first Viking with cams in the mid 70s. It takes some time to create originally, but makes it so easy to select decorative stitches when you want to use them.
Old 07-19-2023, 01:19 PM

Yes, I have done this for all my machines except the straight stitch only machine. I stitch out all stitches including utility stitches - starting each stitch at the default length and width stitch a few inches then change both length and width several times stitching a few inches each time. I turned mine into books and keep them next to the machines they go with. It's a great resource to have.

Rob
Old 07-20-2023, 04:57 AM

I remember making a stitch book for my Viking Designer1 so that had to be around 2000. I found it after all these years in one of my drawers but tossed it out as I traded the machine in for an Epic back in 2015. Wished I'd kept it as I'm sure this machine uses some of the same stitches. Haven't made on for this machine yet and probably never will. I used felt when I stitched out the stitches and I put a number of the stitches onto the piece at one time, writing the number of the stitch at the top of each line. Now, I just write down the stitch I like to use for say bindings if I'm going to do all machine stitching on it. I put my notes on a little sticky note and keep it in the drawer next to the machine so I can hopefully find it again.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:28 AM
Administrator

well! I am officially jealous of all of you who are so much more sensible and efficient than I am. [harumph!]

i have intended to make stitch books for my machines for ... well ... I'm embarrassed to admit how long I've put if off. [gasp!]

never mind ... I'll do as Scarlet did and worry about it tomorrow.

\\Thumbs up to those of you who have done yours. :-)
Old 07-21-2023, 05:40 AM

I have not, but I know people who have and find it useful. It's part of the recommended to do list when you buy a Bernina. If I used decorative stitches, it would be a worthwhile thing to have. Or, maybe I'd use those stitches if I had an example of what they looked like! Hmmm....
Old 07-21-2023, 07:52 AM

I have never done one so can I ask the purpose? I can look at the machine lid and see what stitches it does. Not being mean or anything just curious.
Old 07-23-2023, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ginniequilts View Post
I have never done one so can I ask the purpose? I can look at the machine lid and see what stitches it does. Not being mean or anything just curious.
I used it as a “getting acquainted” with my first computerized machine. I was so nervous of pressing the wrong buttons etc. 🤪