Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shocked at some thread prices >

Shocked at some thread prices

Shocked at some thread prices

Old 07-20-2023, 11:18 AM

Default Shocked at some thread prices

I'm almost out of white thread so thought I would google white quilting thread, and now I'm more confused than ever. Polyester wrapped cotten, all cotton, 40 wt, 50 wt, two strand, three strands. Smooth thread, linty thread. So many different brands and prices. Guess it's been a while since I've had to buy thread....that's what happens when you have to take 18 months off because of a back problem.
Please simply tell me what quilting (not piecing) thread you use, the weight, why you like it so I can "google" it all and buy a few cones. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2023, 11:38 AM

Aurifil 50 wt thread for piecing because I am a pressing and starching fool and I think poly thread would melt. For my longarm, I have always used KingTut or Aurifil on a large cone. With prices what they are nowadays, I will eventually transition my thread to to a poly thread because it is cheaper. Even on sale many threads are pricey, and I am tightening the belt these days.
Old 07-20-2023, 12:52 PM

I use Aurifil for piecing and Glide for quilting. I quilt on a Juki 2000 QVP Mini and it loves Glide thread so that's mostly what I use.
Old 07-20-2023, 03:07 PM

I use Superior's Bottom Line almost exclusively for piecing, because I can get tons of it on my bobbin, I have easy access to it locally, and I find when I'm piecing tiny pieces, it's very accurate. It's poly. I've never had an issue with it melting ever, and I use the hottest setting on my irons. Nylon will melt, poly won't.

For quilting, I use King Tut and Innova Tech - once again, I have easy access to it at my local quilt shops. None of my machines are picky at all about threads.
Old 07-20-2023, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

I like Omni thread for quilting. Wawak has very good quilting thread.
Old 07-20-2023, 04:41 PM

I don't usually want my quilting to stand out, so on my longarm and on my domestic, I usually use perma core
here are the 3 best priced online shops I use
3000 yds
https://www.longarmsupplies.net/prod...69624996&_ss=r
or 6000 yds
https://www.longarmsupplies.net/prod...69624996&_ss=r

or here:
3000 yds
https://www.whittlesfabrics.com/perm...-3000-yd-spool

or
3000 yds
https://fancydawgz.com/perma-core-qu...0-yard-spools/

I also use an assortment of different deco threads too....but I do watch for good sales -Superior, Omni and King Tut are all good for me

(I have an HQ Avante, an Eversewn Sparrow and an older Bernina)

It kinda looks like everyone has their own faves for different reasons.

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 07-20-2023 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2023, 05:46 PM

I use Glide 40wt. polyester for quilting and piecing. It's available in a wide array of beautiful colors, does not produce a lot of lint, looks great on quilts, is made in the USA, and at $12 for 5500 yards is reasonably priced,
Old 07-20-2023, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

I have a lot of Glide thread. I use it for quilting when I want the thread to show a little. My favorite color for anything and everything is Cleopatra.
Old 07-20-2023, 06:17 PM

I use Glide 40 at for both piecing and quilting. When piecing I do a back stitch at start and end of seam to keep from popping. Glide is slippery. They make a matt polyester thread and also a cotton thread that I just learned about and want to try.
Old 07-20-2023, 06:24 PM

For machine quilting, I like Superior Thread's So Fine. It's 100% polyester and 50 weight. It's thin enough to blend into the fabric, and behaves very well in my machines. The Omni is thicker, so is better if you want your stitching to show. I've been working full-time and haven't had time to get really good at quilting, so I prefer my stitches to blend in.