Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Use the Start/Stop Button? >

Do You Use the Start/Stop Button?

Do You Use the Start/Stop Button?

Old 08-03-2023, 01:23 PM

Default Do You Use the Start/Stop Button?

My machine has a start/stop button that runs it rather than the foot pedal. I've never used it, as it seems to me that when I want to stop it would be easier to lift my foot than get my hand to the button. I sometimes have trouble with backstitching right where I want when my hands are busy managing the fabric at the needle. Today I was sewing long edges with a decorative stitch so lots of running at high speed for lengthy times. I got to wondering if it would be easier to use that button but then thought about needing to stop in just the right spot to turn corners. Does anyone use it? What are the advantages? How do you manage your project and the button?
Old 08-03-2023, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

I have wondered that, too
Old 08-03-2023, 02:44 PM
Administrator

i only use it when i'm running the embroidery unit.
i have read comments from others who use it almost exclusively when sewing.

i'm a control freak so don't trust it for regular sewing. lol
Old 08-03-2023, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

I used mine for the first time when I left my foot pedal at home on a three day retreat. LOL It worked great. I didn't have a problem at all stopping or stating where I wanted to. I seldom use my foot pedal at retreats now. One less thing to pack up. I have a small size Brother I take to retreats with speed control. The start/stop button is very easy to use.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:55 PM

I have never used a foot pedal, I have no issues at all with my start stop button. I have no desire to chase a foot pedal.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:12 PM

I got my machine with a start/stop button and used it exclusively for several years. I had no issues. though, the greatest annoyance was for triangles and other angles to control the fabric from being eaten. I kept the speed on slow/medium most of the time. However, I use the foot pedal now. I don't remember why I switched back, but I did. I think it was actually because the noise of the beep each time I started or stopped annoyed my husband. lol
it is nice for the long stretches of stitching (ie, 2 jelly roll strips). and when I hit the start, it took a few stitches real slow at first so I felt like i had time to adjust and get things in place.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

I have used it in the one machine that has that function, just to see what it is like. It was fine. If I had to I could get used to it. I think most of what we do is habit. I have some vintage singers in a cabinet that operate with the knee lever. I also have a knee lift on one machine. I don't go back and forth but I think it would take some practice on any of my machines if I am used to some
other one.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

B.Zang ... I was like you and avoided using it for a long time, for all the same reasons. Anytime I tried using it, I found it to be so darned awkward, so I pretty much avoided. Then, finally, one time when I had some long stitching lines, I decided to "force" myself to do it. By the time I got through them, I was feeling comfortable with the stop-start button! And too, I learned that I could get it stopped at the right time, or if too early, then I just use the foot peddle for the next few stitches.

It's all about that old "mind over matter" mindset that we get ourselves in to!!

Had to go through the same "force myself" method when I got my first machine with a knee lift. Now, I would never want to be without it. No way!!

So B.Zang, Good Luck and get yourself into that "force" mode and you'll soon discover what a friend that stop-start button can be (at the right times!).
Old 08-03-2023, 06:02 PM

I use mine all the time now, but it's because I am too cheap to pay for a new computer fix so that my foot pedal works. Yes, I bought a new foot pedal. It didn't solve the problem, so I tried another one I had here from the same manufacturer and it was a no go. I've gotten used to adjusting speed as I need to. .
Old 08-03-2023, 06:19 PM

I use the stop start button for free-motion quilting. It sets the machine speed, so I can concentrate on moving the fabric evenly.