Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do not use fabric softener on cotton underpants >

Do not use fabric softener on cotton underpants

Do not use fabric softener on cotton underpants

Old 08-07-2023, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

Default Do not use fabric softener on cotton underpants

Just bought some new cotton underwear - JMS and Fruit of the Loom - and they both have "Do Not Use Fabric Softener " stamped by the laundry instructions.

I checked the ones I bought last year - and they do not have that instruction on it.

Anyone know why the new caution?
Old 08-07-2023, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Laundry symbols explained by Tide

https://tide.com/en-us/how-to-wash-c...ls?&utm_source
Old 08-07-2023, 02:16 PM

It does build up on fabrics making them more difficult to breathe and in the case of towels absorb moisture. I only use white vinegar in the rinse cycle for all my wash. And no, it does not smell like vinegar when done and my stuff is still nice and soft. And cheaper too!
Old 08-07-2023, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

Probably not good for females the same as bubble bath and colored toilet paper. The very reason colored toilet paper and tissues are not available now.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:48 PM

Oh man I had forgotten all about colored toilet paper! And it used to be available in scents, too!
Old 08-08-2023, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
It does build up on fabrics making them more difficult to breathe and in the case of towels absorb moisture. I only use white vinegar in the rinse cycle for all my wash. And no, it does not smell like vinegar when done and my stuff is still nice and soft. And cheaper too!
I am coming to say I recently started doing this (never used liquid softener or sheets anyway) and it really does soften and freshen laundry and you are right- laundry does t smell like vinegar.
Old 08-08-2023, 07:53 AM

You want your underwear to absorb moisture. I suspect these new fabric softeners have a different formulation from past softeners. Today's fabric softeners keep moisture from being absorbed easily into fabric and so keeps things too damp down there.

Fabric softener coats your dryer vents, too, which contributes to some of the dryer fires that have happened.
Old 08-23-2023, 07:06 AM

I haven't used fabric softener in years.
Side Note: Wouldn't it be wonderful if outdoor clotheslines were the norm again.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
Wouldn't it be wonderful if outdoor clotheslines were the norm again.
YES!! To be honest, I'm rather surprised they aren't, since everyone is trying to make everything so energy efficient and conscious.

I had one for several years and my husband hated it. He took it down and threw it away when we rebuilt our deck. 😤 One of these days, when he's not looking, I'm gonna put up another one.
Old 08-23-2023, 12:34 PM

Peckish look what I McGivered this year. I bought this swing in the 80's. the cover wore out a few years ago, and I had the bright idea last summer to get some spray fabric paint and brighten up the cushion. Euuuu, terrible smell, to junked it and looked all summer for a new cushion, holy cow there are a million sizes and I never did find one to fitl
So we broke down the swing and put it in the recycle pile down back.

Then I had an idea! I only hang out my linens and quilts so 4 lines was enough. It is actually very discrete and doesn't take up much room. If we have company chairs can fit there, or I can just lift it off the deck. And my deck is covered so I can use it year around. I Love it.

PS that's our new dog Bruno. A Jack Russell, penance for my sins I'm sure...
Attached Thumbnails recycled-swing.jpg