Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps? >

Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps?

Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps?

Old 08-09-2023, 05:54 AM

Default Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps?

Today was trash pick-up day, as is every Wednesday. I had been doing a lot of, call it... scrap making this past week as I have been making sample blocks to see how my resizing is working with making my latest quilt. I actually ended up with a good half kitchen trash bag full.

While it was true that I was basically using scrap fabric to make them to begin with, I also needed to use some fabric that was larger 'scraps', and I used fabric that was left over from making other quilts that was basically taken from cuts of a yard or two at the most.

When I put the trash out this morning for pick up and tossed the bag of scraps in with it, I had this washed over feeling of guilt. That somehow I should be saving these to use yet again, or use in a quilt if I could. But I was in the same frame of mind, that I have had some scraps sitting around for years and was I honestly ever going to use them?

I thought about sending them on, or donating them, but alas, hate the thought of paying postage at today's outrageous prices, and our local donation place, has been seen to just toss any fabric that can't be folded and placed for sale on it's own.

So, I swallowed my guilt feelings and for better or worse, have a cleaner quilting room this morning. And I was wondering if others face the guilt complex slightly when tossing a lot of scraps.
Old 08-09-2023, 06:11 AM

I'm a hoarder. My "stash" is mostly scraps. If it's 1 1/4" wide or bigger, I save it. I have 5 file boxes stuffed tight with the smaller scraps.

I did just start a scrap quilt that uses up my leftover binding strips. They are 2 1/4" wide. So I went through my bigger scraps and cut more to match. Then I need a lot of white on white for the background. So I got a lot of that from my bigger scraps. I'm to the point where I need to get into my smaller scraps to get enough pieces to make a lap size quilt. It's been fun playing with and using up my scraps.

Some people save the tiny clippings for dog bedding. I tried that once and thought, this is awful hard and lumpy, so I didn't think a dog would really like to sleep on it. So I threw those away.
Old 08-09-2023, 06:36 AM

I only toss them if I cannot make clothing for litte girls (up to 6X); Dolly clothes/quilts; people quilts. Once everything is done and the scraps are not able to be sewed togrther, I put them in a trash bag and sit the bag next to the dumpster and one of the mainance guys actually put in the dumpster so I can tell myself THEY were the one who trashed it

Last edited by MaryKa; 08-09-2023 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-09-2023, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Scraps really bug me. They make a mess of my sewing room and I just don't enjoy seeing them so I toss, with no guilt. I'd rather have my happy place be peaceful!
Old 08-09-2023, 07:09 AM

If I have enough scraps i do not need, i give them to Charity.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

I donate what I no longer need also.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:43 AM

Here's a funny. My DSIL has boxing bags that flatten out with usage and time, so all my smallish scraps are saved for him to refill the bags. No guilt for me! Win win for all!
Old 08-09-2023, 07:47 AM

I do a lot of scrap quilting, but if it's smaller than a 2 1/2" square it goes. No guilt.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:33 AM

I'm still at the point where I keep almost anything that can hold a seam, but I'm starting to see the wisdom in being more selective in what I make space for in my fabric boxes. I had a flashback to my childhood recently and I remembered how I made the most wonderful little puppets and other crafts out of all sorts of scrap paper, coloured cellophane and yarn. I realized that part of me still sees that kind of potential for creativity in my fabric scraps. However, if I don't have the time or reason to make/play with these types of things any more, why should I keep the materials, right? I still don't like the idea of throwing them away, but if I can't use them and nobody else wants them, that might be the only option.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:39 AM

I watched Terry Rowland's 3 part YouTube video of her process for the scrapbuster Colourwash quilt...the first time I have found a scrapbuster that worked for me! Most are too much work! And Terry's approach works well as a leaders and enders category as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UQE5SlOLqg

And then...what to do with all those trimmings?? The ones too small to quilt with? I found this video featuring Carola of Carola's Quilt Shop. At 36:02 in the video is a great use for all those scraps that are just too small for sewing up. Sort them by colour and then sprinkle them between two sheets of water soluble stabilizer and stitch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-45pOxAqfw&t=2350s