Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas Quilts, Essembly Line Style >

Christmas Quilts, Essembly Line Style

Christmas Quilts, Essembly Line Style

Old 08-16-2023, 07:38 AM

Default Christmas Quilts, Essembly Line Style

I've decided to make new quilts for my grown kids this year. They've loved their old ones to death and I've been getting hints. I need to make 3 for them and a couple new ones for my house too, so I've been streamlining things.

Here's my plan:
I'm going with all Elizabeth Hartman patterns, because I like her modern look and I think that the kids will too. Plus, they are not too complicated and easy to put together. I'm also doing duplicate patterns to keep it simpler. (The kids each get different style of quilts and I get the duplicates.)

Buying fabrics has been expensive and time consuming. I don't have a quilt shop nearby, so everything is ordered online, all at once.

I need to get started right away, but it's too hot to be upstairs in my quilting zone right now, so I've brought some of my fabrics and a small, rotating cutting board downstairs, so that I can cut and watch TV, or listen to music. I've got several ziploc bags marked for the different projects. Hopefully, I can keep them all straight and get all of the pieces cut by the end of this month.

Once I start sewing, it's pedal to the metal, doing duplicates over and over. I need to make a new playlist to keep me going.

I like cutting and piecing, but don't love the quilting part as much. I can't afford a long armer, so I'll just do a simple, "wood grain" quilting pattern. It goes fast and is easy for me to get a decent result with my old machines.

That's my plan. Helpful tips are appreciated.
Old 08-16-2023, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

C, sounds like a great plan. I can't think of anything else. Have fun!!!
My son lives in LA and says it's been quite hot. He walks his dog early before it gets too hot.
It's cooled here a bit in Ohio. I had my knee replaced in July and am not doing anything fun but exercise and ice!!
Old 08-16-2023, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
C, sounds like a great plan. I can't think of anything else. Have fun!!!
My son lives in LA and says it's been quite hot. He walks his dog early before it gets too hot.
It's cooled here a bit in Ohio. I had my knee replaced in July and am not doing anything fun but exercise and ice!!
Yeah...it's hot in LA and in CA in general. We expect it to hit 100 degrees today in our area, but it looks like it might cool down later in the week. Fingers crossed. We are expecting thunder showers here too and that worries me. Lightning strikes are fire starters.

Knee replacement! I hope you recover quickly. I hear that the pain relief is worth the surgery. Good luck with your recovery.
Old 08-16-2023, 11:31 AM

Good luck, Tropit. It sounds like you have a great plan! You're such more ambitious than I am. Right now, I'm quilting the king size quilt I pieced last year about this time. lol. I'm a little slow.
Old 08-16-2023, 12:32 PM

what hartman patterns will you be using?
Old 08-16-2023, 03:03 PM

You are the woman with the PLAN! I hope you enjoy the process and the gifting!
Old 08-16-2023, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
what hartman patterns will you be using?
I'm wondering which patterns you chose, too. Her patterns are not usually simple. The ones I've seen have a ton of pieces.
Old 08-17-2023, 04:17 AM

Wow! Great idea! I've never attempted such an ambitious project! My suggestion is using lap trays to separate quilts.
Susie, I've had each knee replaced. What took me sooo long! Best move I ever made! I purchased a stationary bike from Academy for around $100 to use every morning. Good luck!
Old 08-17-2023, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. I know...very ambitious. I'm commiting by posting here.

I'm working on 2 patterns right now: Berry Season and The Puppies. I have a couple of other EH patterns that I want to do, but these two will make great gifts. I also want to try to squeeze in Legandary for my son in law. I think he'll really like it.
Old 08-17-2023, 11:55 AM

I commend your enthusiasm and plan. It will work. I gave myself a similar plan that included completing the free motion quilting of flannel squares for a rag quilt, ten each day and cutting all of the 90 squares in a week with accuquilt dies. Done! It was fun to look at my calendar and say no to some things and yes to my project.