Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
American Fiber Products Batting - your opinion >

American Fiber Products Batting - your opinion

American Fiber Products Batting - your opinion

Old 09-26-2023, 12:56 PM

Default American Fiber Products Batting - your opinion

It's been a while since I purchased batting (using up my stash). I have used Hobbs 80/20 for children and charity for years. This year my shop told me they moved to American Fiber Batting a few years back. I'm curious if anyone has used it and your opinion. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-26-2023, 01:53 PM

OH Hi from up the road. I've not heard of that company. I used Hobbs for a long, long time. Just happened to start buying
Warm and Natural (with the brown on label) and like it fine too.
Old 09-27-2023, 02:50 AM

I have a Hobbs Premium Cotton batting in King Size that I found in my supplies, so I must have found it on sale somewhere. Probably a quilt shop or Hobby Lobby. I plan on sending it to a charity quilter in Florida that I've made contact with. But for my childrens charity quilts I prefer to use Warm and Natural. I just like the feel of it.
I've never heard of American Fiber Batting.
Old 09-27-2023, 02:56 AM

I googled it to find out. American Fiber Batting is owned by LOFT out of Woodlands Texas. They offer several types of batting from bamboo to polyester/cotton. I've seen the packaged batting before, just never associated the name with it. (old age!)
It may be worth a try if your regular batting is no longer available or hard to find.
Old 09-27-2023, 03:01 AM

Sorry, don't mean to hog the post...Hobbs batting is available through Amazon.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
I have a Hobbs Premium Cotton batting in King Size that I found in my supplies, so I must have found it on sale somewhere. Probably a quilt shop or Hobby Lobby. I plan on sending it to a charity quilter in Florida that I've made contact with. But for my childrens charity quilts I prefer to use Warm and Natural. I just like the feel of it.
I've never heard of American Fiber Batting.
Lindaschipper, It will probably cost a pretty penny to ship that batting to your friend. I would cut it up to make several smaller battings for your own quilts and just send the amount of money your would spend on shipping the batting to your friend instead of the batting.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by mmunchkins View Post
Lindaschipper, It will probably cost a pretty penny to ship that batting to your friend. I would cut it up to make several smaller battings for your own quilts and just send the amount of money your would spend on shipping the batting to your friend instead of the batting.
I'm aware of the cost of shipping. I'm shipping by United Parcel and not the post office. I want to also ship some backing fabric, and some binding to him as well. I've already spoken to him about it and so he's expecting it. Told him not to worry about the cost. It's a charity donation.
Old 09-29-2023, 04:48 AM

Interesting Sheri.A, turns out the batting is made where you live. Probably why the local shop carries it! As an infojunkie I'd call the factory up and ask for a tour! See if they have an on-site store
I guess it is up to you to try it and come back and tell us how it compares~
Old 10-07-2023, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Interesting Sheri.A, turns out the batting is made where you live. Probably why the local shop carries it! As an infojunkie I'd call the factory up and ask for a tour! See if they have an on-site store
I guess it is up to you to try it and come back and tell us how it compares~
Yes, they are a local supplier and have always provided great service. They purchased the American Fiber company when that owner retired and stopped selling Hobbs. I'm just really wanting to find someone that has used American Fiber for their quilts. Thanks to everyone in their replies.
Old 10-08-2023, 03:05 AM

Several things I would look about the "new" company. Is the product American owned and made? What fibers are in the batting? How does it compare in price? How does it compare in the quilting process? How does it drape when finished? We are anxious to hear what you think!