Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to wash a queen size quilt >

how to wash a queen size quilt

how to wash a queen size quilt

Old 10-11-2023, 01:34 PM

Default how to wash a queen size quilt

I am completing a queen size quilt and would like to give it the wrinkled effect and shrink the size 8 needle holes without having to put it in my washing machine--I just about broke the washer last time I tried this! Could putting it in the dryer with several yards of already-washed and wet fabric net me the same effect?
Old 10-11-2023, 01:49 PM

Maybe you could just mist it good with water and then put it in the dryer. I take most of my larger quilts to the laundromat and use a front load machine
Old 10-11-2023, 02:14 PM

I also take my large quilts to the laundromat. I also usually dry them at the laundromat since they tend to end up in a roll in my dryer. The big dryers allow the quilt to move more freely. It's worth the cost of the load, not to break my own machines!!
Old 10-11-2023, 03:44 PM

where in the world does one find Laundry Mats? I"ve never seen one in my life except on t.v.
Sometimes having one nearby would be nice.
Old 10-11-2023, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
where in the world does one find Laundry Mats? I"ve never seen one in my life except on t.v.
Sometimes having one nearby would be nice.
Wow! Really? I have 2 near my house (only here they are called washaterias). I used one quite a bit when my washer was broken. I thought they were everywhere.
Old 10-11-2023, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

There are several laundromats in my small town and they seem to be always busy. They are clean and each have a person to oversee things. They are both open 7 days a week One opens early and one stays open until 10. I think they are both owned by the same person. It was sure handy to have when my area lost power for a couple of weeks. I was shocked at the price per load the last time I was there. LOL My daughter when in high school use to take all her laundry to one, wash and dry all at once to get it over with.

How I wash any big quilt is put in my washer with a little detergent (top loader) and turn the washer off when filled. Let soak for a little then select drain. Repeat with clean water then select drain and spin. Then I put the whole thing in the dryer. I don't agitate or swish it as my washer does.
Old 10-11-2023, 04:35 PM

Love my front load washers. Had my first (a Whirlpool Duet) for 17 years; it was still working when we remodeled and got a new stacking washer/dryer. The new one is an LG. Well, new being 5 years old now.
Old 10-11-2023, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

My friend's MIL was visiting from England. She marveled over our top load washers and how big they were and we had laundry rooms! She said washers in British homes was small and crammed under the kitchen cabinets or stuck in the bathrooms.
Old 10-11-2023, 04:55 PM

I'm in Texas. They used to be called washaterias or laundromats. Now they are called lavanderias.
bkay
Old 10-11-2023, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

I have always had a washing machine with an extra large tub. First it was because of lots of diapers and kids' clothes, and now it's because of quilting. I can wash any size quilt at home and dry it in the dryer. As far as your question, though, I don't think you will get the same effect unless you thoroughly wet the quilt. Some of the wrinkled effect, if not all, is due to shrinkage of the batting.