Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
New product to help with flat back stitching for EPP >

New product to help with flat back stitching for EPP

New product to help with flat back stitching for EPP

Old 10-12-2023, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Default New product to help with flat back stitching for EPP

I can see how this would make a difference. Not sure exactly how it holds the hexies, doesn't show the back of it.

https://www.sewtites.com/collections...eid=71e2922e6b

SewTites Flat Back Stitching English Paper Piecing Palette

Old 10-12-2023, 08:44 AM

About a month ago they had a new designer on an Accuquilt Tutorial that talked about using a "needle minder" for holding the hexies together. Forgetting that I already had one, nothing would do but I went on her website and ordered a cute little Hedgehog needle minder. It worked just as she said it would. Then Accuquilt came out with a new die to go with their 1 inch hexies and EPP qube. They had these new SewTites on their website so just had to order them along with the die. Surprisingly Accuquilt had the best price for the set of three. It's so nice when something works as advertised. Since ordering them I have seen other EPP YouTube folks using them too.
Old 10-12-2023, 02:34 PM

Sewtites are magnets which hold fabric pieces together while you sew. I use a form of them which help me a lot.
Old 10-12-2023, 02:35 PM

So Quiltingcandy, how does it work?
Old 10-13-2023, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Sew Tites for EPP have been around for several years now. I use the round ones called Dots. Flat back stitching is for invisible stitches on the front when joining the hexes together. The hexies have to be flat to be sewn together. The pallet is a new tool to hold them flat using the Sew Tites. After studying the picture I figured out the plastic goes between the Sew Tites. Sew Tites also makes longer stronger strips for long arms. No pinning, basting or clipping needed to load a quilt.
Old 10-13-2023, 05:21 AM

Their video does not show how you back stitch while holding the plastic palette. They just say place the epp pieces on the plastic, put on magnets.....does not show stitching. I can't see how the magnets can hold while you are sticking the needle through the layers to achieve a back stitch.....you have to hold the epp pieces to stitch. Before wasting $25 on three thin pieces of plastic, of which you would only use one your size, I would try a homemade palette with the sew tites to see exactly how this would work.
interesting that they didn't show that on the video. I see these being discounted quickly.

Last edited by Lady Diana; 10-13-2023 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-13-2023, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I have to place the two hexies flat on a surface to flat back stitch. I think the price seems high for what it is but sometimes the convenience of having it made and ready to use is worth it.
Old 10-13-2023, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have to place the two hexies flat on a surface to flat back stitch. I think the price seems high for what it is but sometimes the convenience of having it made and ready to use is worth it.
I use a piece to packing tape to hold the pieces together. This seems a bit expensive and would probably have limited use. I do a lot of EPP with shapes other than hexies. I'm not sure how it would work for those. I'll probably stick with my rolls of packing tape for now
Old 10-13-2023, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

I don't know how to stitch flat back stitching unless on solid surface. Are we talking about the same stitch?
Old 10-14-2023, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I use a piece to packing tape to hold the pieces together. This seems a bit expensive and would probably have limited use. I do a lot of EPP with shapes other than hexies. I'm not sure how it would work for those. I'll probably stick with my rolls of packing tape for now
I use Painters tape. Packing tap sounds stronger. Thank you.