Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New fabric worth the price? >

New fabric worth the price?

New fabric worth the price?

Old 10-15-2023, 05:55 AM

I rarely buy anything that's not on sale, unless it's at a Mennonite shop where prices are still about $10/yard.

However, if it's the perfect fabric for a project, I might splurge. Last year, I found the perfect background for my Sunnyside Up class. At $16/yard, it was the most I ever paid for fabric. And I needed 6 yards, or so the pattern said. I didn't use it all, but I do love it, and have been using it in other projects.
Attached Thumbnails sunny-side-up-4.jpg  
Old 10-15-2023, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I like shopping now at Hancock's of Paducah in their fabric from sale fabric and daily treat fabric. Lots of choices from 4.99 to 7.99 and up. Also if I need a lot of the same fabric I also check out and go to Marshall's Dry Goods and buy it by the bolt. Otherwise I watch for good sales for fabric, plus sales for fabric for a new line coming out if I want to purchase a bit from that same line. Same goes for patterns. I watch for sales or I hunt for a like free pattern and make adjustments.

There is no way I'm going to pay those higher prices for fabric or patterns.
Yep, that is one of my favorite places to shop....and I had been looking at their site every few days for weeks trying to find the greys and blacks I needed for my nephew son's quilt. Finally decided I need to be able to see the fabric in person as who knew there are so many shades of grey and black and some of them even clash with each other. So anyway, I am glad I at least found a good backing for this quilt at 50% off and was able to use the 5 yd black fabric in my stash. So I only had to buy 7 more yards at regular prices to get the two other greys I needed for the top and binding. I have enough batting and thread and a long arm in the basement.

Last edited by sewingpup; 10-15-2023 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-15-2023, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

I'll bet some of my recent fabric bundle purchases have added up to that much per yard. Those are my weakness!!!
Old 10-15-2023, 07:07 AM

It seems with the rising of prices all over including quilting fabric, patterns, etc., it's time to look at what you may already have in your stash. It is a shame to just let it sit there. I have always been one to try to use what I have. That's how quilting started in the first place. Use your creative juices and try to use what you have, it's kind of fun. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2023, 07:09 AM

Beautiful colors, awesome.
Old 10-15-2023, 09:57 AM

In 1974 my mother & I were at the Pendleton Wool Shop in Disneyland. They had the most beautiful wool fabric that my mother was ready to buy for me to make a dress but it was $10.00 a yard. Besides not needing a wool outfit in San Diego, I was touching and loving the fabric. Then confessed, I would be afraid to cut it. It was just to perfect in color, texture, everything about it. I would never cut it. My mother understood, so we left it at the store. Now we get excited if we find nice fabric at $10.00 a yard.
Old 10-15-2023, 12:35 PM

Nope. Everyone has their limit. I sew with friends that would never pay $10 a yard because they remember it being considerably less. When I started, $10 was fairly common for new fabrics so that's my limit. I wait for sales. Every once in a while there will be one I just can't resist. But I never purchase the line, just the focus fabric.
Old 10-15-2023, 12:48 PM

I guess anything is worth the price if you really want it and have the money to pay for it. I think of our Canadian and overseas quilting friends, who were paying about twice what we were before the recent inflation. I imagine their spending habits were more restrained than ours, generally speaking.
Old 10-15-2023, 12:49 PM

Suz, post a picture of the fabric you need. I bought quite a bit of poinsettias on black in the 90s.
Old 10-15-2023, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I guess anything is worth the price if you really want it and have the money to pay for it. I think of our Canadian and overseas quilting friends, who were paying about twice what we were before the recent inflation. I imagine their spending habits were more restrained than ours, generally speaking.
When I look at the prices being quoted in this thread and think of our Canadian prices, we pay about the same but are buying meters rather than yards so always get that extra three inches. I love to check out the sales and that's when I might buy more than a meter or so to add to my stash. I try to stay away from patterns that require me to go buy a bunch of new fabric in large quantities. That said, it somehow doesn't seem so bad to buy 5 meters of different fabrics in one meter chunks but yowzers! the sticker shock!