Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
50th Wedding Anniversary >

50th Wedding Anniversary

50th Wedding Anniversary

Old 10-19-2023, 04:56 AM

Default 50th Wedding Anniversary

My long time quilting buddy is having a 50th anniversary celebration this week-end. I'm at such a loss for a gift for them. She, as most of us, has more than enough quilt-y things. Any suggestions?
Old 10-19-2023, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Restaurant gift card?
Old 10-19-2023, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

A letter telling her/them how much she/they have meant to you over the years - maybe recalling meaningful events that you have shared -

Pictures of the two of them -

Gift certificates for restaurants -

Cash with a designated purpose - such as - going out to lunch - or going to the movies - an "experience" rather than "a thing"

Old 10-19-2023, 06:31 AM

When you get to an "age", you don't need anymore "stuff". Pretty much, if you need it or want it, you already have it. I know I give away most of the presents people buy me. .

We just celebrated my cousin's 80th birthday. Another cousin commented that a gift should be something you can eat, drink or use up. She went on to say, "and especially not something you have to dust".

How about flowers? Or, a gift certificate for flowers to be delivered? Or, a food basket like "get goodies.com" or something similar (no affiliation to them they just happen to be local and the only one I could think of off the top of my head).

bkay
Old 10-19-2023, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
When you get to an "age", you don't need anymore "stuff". Pretty much, if you need it or want it, you already have it.............
....and in my case, if I don't have it, but want/need it, I know that I want to be able to make my own choice! Someone else may not choose the precise "one" that I would want, and then next thing is I "hate" their gift and want to replace it, but am somewhat stuck!! I'm sure I am not alone with this mindset.

I'm with the others ... think carefully as to what is "right" for your friends and choose wisely. Sometimes the best thing is to keep it totally simple!

Another idea, a gift card for a meal you will deliver to their home when they wish, or for a dinner at your place. Or if you are "known" for your pies, preserves, chicken pot pies, tea biscuits or whatever, gift them with that as something to look forward to in the future.

Most importantly, go and enjoy the gathering, to give them special memories of their 50th celebrations!!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 10-19-2023 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:03 AM

My DH & I just celebrated our 50th Anniversary on June 30th in Las Vegas by getting married again at the Little White Wedding Chapel. Our daughters, grand children (ages 2yrs and 4 months), & SIL. I had been driving somewhere when I heard the Faith Hill song about betting on love and going to Las Vegas to get married. We had a great time! My DH loved the idea of "re-newing" our vows, and I always wanted to see what was inside the Little White Wedding Chapel after seeing it in movies and TV for so many years. We wanted a family gathering, nothing big and expensive, just fun.

I don't know your friends but taking them out to dinner and celebrating the occasion with a card or even a bouquet of flowers would be fun for you all.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:45 AM

50th Anniversary indicates to me that she is married. I'm sure her husband would appreciate a restaurant & movie gift card instead of something "quilty". Give them a simple but relaxing night on the town!
Old 10-19-2023, 01:18 PM

What about a wall hanging indicating your friendship or a quilt, then presenting it to them at a dinner you cook, or take them out? I had our 50th two years ago, we took our kids and grandkids to Branson, Missouri for lots of fun. We rented a big house for all of us. Such fun and more memories.
Old 10-19-2023, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

I would go with a "consumable" whether a bottle of wine if they are so inclined, a flower arrangement she doesn't have to take care of, taking them out for a "memory maker"? I know for myself, I don't want or need anything else and if I do, I just get it.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:24 AM

Take them out for a dinner. My DH and I have enjoyed the going out more than anything else. We wouldn't even mind going to a fast food place. It means I don't have to cook or do dishes, and we get to enjoy friends. We've been married 67 1/2 yrs so far.