Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you having trouble keeping your fabric feeding straight? >

Are you having trouble keeping your fabric feeding straight?

Are you having trouble keeping your fabric feeding straight?

Old 12-26-2023, 09:52 AM

Default Are you having trouble keeping your fabric feeding straight?

I was surfing youtube this morning and found this little short video and thought "Wow! How interesting!" Just one little shift of our hands could make a difference in how the fabric feeds into the machine. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nj7wH8sm9RY
Old 12-26-2023, 10:02 AM

Very interesting!! Thanks!
Old 12-26-2023, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Oh I never thought about that being a new hint. We were taught this in home ec decades ago. I remember it was fun to sew in circles. LOL Also if you put your left index finger against the left side of the pressure foot at the end of a seam the seam won't veer off to the right but stay straight. What happened to all the great home ec teachers who knew all this? Sad so much has been lost.
Old 12-26-2023, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

I also find that it's important to sit straight in front of the presser foot, not to the side.
Old 12-26-2023, 12:55 PM

I was taught years ago to hold the fabric lightly in front of the presser foot. It does seem to help.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:18 AM

It might also help to clean out the feed dogs. Lint we remember to clean out of the bobbin race is good, but it can build up like hard felt in the feed dogs Guess how I know...
Old 12-27-2023, 08:10 AM

I just simply find it easier to keep the fabric going straight especially with triangle units using my 5mm machine instead of my 9mm machines. I am assuming that I feed the fabric the same way but will have to check this out.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:18 AM

Great tip, thanks for posting that
Old 12-27-2023, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
What happened to all the great home ec teachers who knew all this? Sad so much has been lost.
If my home ec teachers covered this, I don't remember it. (I got 2 semesters of sewing (on a sewing machine) instruction in school in 1980 and 1981.) I like using a walking foot for sewing seams, especially for staying straight at the end of the seam. I will have to play with Onebyone's tip for avoiding the end of seam veering.
Thank you DebbieJJ for the tip!
Old 12-27-2023, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

My home ec class was late 60's we had one semester of sewing from buying fabric, reading a pattern, laying out the pattern, cutting, and complete instructions on how the machine worked. We had to deep clean the machines, oil, and set tensions that the teacher had set to zero. We learned thread weight. How to sew straight, set in sleeves, interfacings, using bias tape, hem tape, darts, sewing elastic, pintuck, inserting lace, double needle and probably lots more. An hour a day for nine school weeks we learned a lot. After sewing we went to needlework, crochet, and knitting. The second year we did baking/cooking, personal care, and home interior, housecleaning and household budgeting. I learned so much in home ec.