Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone seen this quilt pattern? >

Has anyone seen this quilt pattern?

Has anyone seen this quilt pattern?

Old 01-26-2024, 06:25 PM

Default Has anyone seen this quilt pattern?

After talking to my sister she hunted up this picture for me. This quilt (on a couch as a covering in this picture) was made by my Great-Great-Grandmother. When I was a little girl, from around 6 years old to 10 years old, this quilt was on my bed. Then my family had to move and my mother sold all of the quilts she had that had been made by my Great-Great-Grandmother including this one. I loved this quilt. It was my quilt. It was my cherry quilt. It was all white and red except for the two shades of green leaves and stems. I was so hooked on cherries, that I even asked for cherry pie for my birthdays instead of cake.

I would love to reproduce this quilt, for my memories and as a memory in honor of my Great-Great-Grandmother, but it would help if I had a pattern to work from. I don't know if she used a pattern from a magazine or if she just made it up herself as she was a wonderful quilter. She did a lot of her patterns from magazines, so maybe? The quilt was on a white background with all of the pattern pieces appliqued, even the bottom scallop. All the reds were the same solid red color, except for the bottom red scallop and the diamonds, which are the same shade of red, but it had tiny white leaves of three throughout. The connecting diamond also had a red blossom in the center of it the same fabric as the cherries. The backing fabric was the same white as the front. And the binding, was white fabric with leaves and cherries appliqued on the strip and then made into the binding. The two bottom corners had oversized leaves and 3 bunches of 3 cherries that hung in the (upside down v on the bed corner) when the bed was made. Not to mention, hand quilted, as well. I can't imagine the hours this must have taken to make this.

Has anyone seen something like this? The same or really close? She probably made it in the late 1800's to early 1900's. She was born 1868. I was eleven when she died at 99 years old. She was a very sweet lady. For the longest time, my mother kept all of her quilts in a huge chest which kept them in pristine condition, and finally got this one out to put on the couch until I talked her into letting me put it on my bed. (okay, okay I begged and maybe whined a little... I admit it)!

Sorry the picture is so narrow, but I cropped out my sisters to post this.
Attached Thumbnails my-cherry-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by quiltsfor; 01-26-2024 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

Oh it is so sad your mother couldn't let you keep that one quilt. It is a beauty! I have never seen that pattern before. Do you know if it had a label or any documentation when sold? It could be in someone's private collection.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:51 PM

That's a beautiful quilt!

Couldn't find the pattern, but I found a cheater cloth of your quilt. Here's a link: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...n-80-432047874
Old 01-26-2024, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

Wow!, could that be the quilt? Our memories of the past aren't always what we think we remember about something.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:34 PM

It's so pretty, I've been playing with it. It would be easy to make into an embroidered and appliqued quilt block. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails spinning-cherries.jpg  
Old 01-26-2024, 09:33 PM

Wow, the one that Quiltedsunshine posted looks identical!!
Old 01-27-2024, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Oh it is so sad your mother couldn't let you keep that one quilt. It is a beauty! I have never seen that pattern before. Do you know if it had a label or any documentation when sold? It could be in someone's private collection.
She never labeled any of her quilts. She thought it was vain to do so. She made so many of them.
Old 01-27-2024, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
That's a beautiful quilt!

Couldn't find the pattern, but I found a cheater cloth of your quilt. Here's a link: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...n-80-432047874
Wow, nice! She must have gotten the pattern from a magazine then. The fabric was slightly different. Instead of dots, they were bunches of three tiny white leaves in the red scallops and diamonds. That I remember distinctly because I used to count them, pulling up the sides of the quilt when I cuddled in it in bed. She also appliqued a solid red blossom onto the center of the diamond. Her leaves were different as well in the color. The dark green was darker and the lighter green was more the color of the dark side of the leaves in the picture. The red was slightly darker as well. So, she probably got the cheater cloth an then supplied her own fabric. Her quilt was definitely hand appliqued and hand quilted. She never saw a use to getting a sewing machine. She was definitely from the old way.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
It's so pretty, I've been playing with it. It would be easy to make into an embroidered and appliqued quilt block. What do you think?
This is really nice. It will give me something to work with! thanks!