Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting Sewing Machine in and Out of Car >

Getting Sewing Machine in and Out of Car

Getting Sewing Machine in and Out of Car

Old 02-23-2024, 09:10 AM

Default Getting Sewing Machine in and Out of Car

I have a bit of a bad back and I am lifting my Bernina in and out of the car weekly for classes. I have it in a case but it is awkward to get in and out of the car and I keep hurting my back as I take my weekly courses. Does anyone have a creative technique to get the machine in and out of the car? Ive tried minimizing the case weight and I bought a 335 to minimize the weight from my heavier machines.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

Probably there isn't much that you can do, beyond a different vehicle,
but we are creative minds here, so, please let us know ...
and there may be some suggestions come forth.

Is your machine, sitting in a "well" in the trunk?

Or on the same level as the back end of the trunk?
Old 02-23-2024, 10:54 AM

Getting the machine and its bag out of the car is about 35 lbs so I bought the smaller machine but it’s not light enough still. Every time a go to class my back hurts for days.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Where do you go to class?

could you rent a machine there to use while you are in class.

( I do not know if I would use this option because i am used to my machine s quirks)

But I have also learned to take care of my back

Is there another person there that would be willing to help you get your machine in and out of your car? Sometimes people are willing to help if asked.

especially if one offers to pay.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes a back brace can help, got mine at Walmart
so not expensive.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:03 PM

Maybe placing the machine in a different spot in your car would help? Maybe the front passenger seat instead of the trunk?
Ask if someone at the shop or in the class could lift it out of your car?
Old 02-23-2024, 12:28 PM

How about buying a Featherweight for class? I have back problems and
I know I would never be able to haul my very heavy machine anywhere.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:44 PM

I think it is a common problem. Around here the store employees won't help either. I'm thinking that maybe a "dog ramp" that is used to help dogs get out of the trunk plus a dolly might work. You'd need one that is rather smooth instead of having "bumps" that are used to make it more like tiny steps. I don't think you are alone is this problem. If I'm in a store and know someone who needs help, I go outside and help them. However, that can be a risk...like what if I drop the machine? or hurt my back? Those possibilities increase as I get older.

I have a small dolly that I place the machine on once I get it out of the car. Then I can just pull it into the store. I can understand why a business does not want its employees getting machines out of the car. The business would incur a liability if the employee gets hurt on the job and if the machine is damaged, they'd incur a cost for that too. Those costs can be extremely expensive for them.

A lot depends on the store employees. One place I take my machine has a guy that comes out and gets the machine. Those places who have machine repair service are more likely to do that. Do you have someone at home who can help get the machine in the car? Maybe they could go with you to help get it out. I'm 77 and work my arms with weights (not the big ones!) to strengthen my arm muscles. I've found this beneficial for me for around the house tasks too.

I look forward to see how others deal with this problem.

Old 02-23-2024, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Unless an away project needs zig zag, I travel with my straight stitch only Featherweight. If my Bernina needs to travel, I have it in a rolling luggage cart. I still have to lift it in and out of my vehicle but can roll it everywhere else.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by mtnwm View Post
I have a bit of a bad back and I am lifting my Bernina in and out of the car weekly for classes. I have it in a case but it is awkward to get in and out of the car and I keep hurting my back as I take my weekly courses. Does anyone have a creative technique to get the machine in and out of the car? Ive tried minimizing the case weight and I bought a 335 to minimize the weight from my heavier machines.
i have a similar problem with my automated wheelchair. It's difficult to get it in/out of my car. But it is relatively easy to get it in/out of our Dodge minivan. Seats are folded away, door slides open and the floor is lower than the floor of the trunk area.

Since it's unlikely you will go out and buy dodge minivan, My suggestion is to get a very lightweight low end Brother machine to lighten your load.