Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any experience with Singer Heavy Duty machine? >

any experience with Singer Heavy Duty machine?

any experience with Singer Heavy Duty machine?

Old 03-20-2024, 07:42 AM

Default any experience with Singer Heavy Duty machine?

Hello All,

I've recently started sewing feed and bird seed bags into reusable bags. I've been using my trusty Bernina (380 I think) for this...but sometimes sewing through several plastic layers she has trouble. So, I thought about getting a Singer Heavy Duty machine...the 6800C. I've seen mixed reviews for it on various websites. I just never know who to trust and who not to.

One reviewer in particular said those reviewers with bad experiences needed to read the instruction manual...

Do any of you have experience with this machine?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2024, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

I have seen retreat members use them. They seem fine but are clanky sounding when sewing. One member said it was temperental but usually user error once she figured out what was wrong. I would oder this machine from Amazon to be able to return it without a hassle if there is a problem or not to your liking.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:46 PM
mkc

My sister-in-law has one and has a lot of problems with tensions. Very erratic even after she dials it in. She finally asked for a recommendation for a different brand.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:23 PM

As a sewing machine mechanic and sewing instructor, I do not like the machine. Any machine with a plastic, drop-in bobbin case is NOT a heavy duty machine, even if it says it on the machine. I've had students in my classes with these machines, and we always had to stop the class to fiddle with the darn things.

Of course, there are people who love these machines.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:36 AM

Have you tried different needles? The ones for blue jeans?
Old 03-21-2024, 03:36 AM

My advice and what I use is a 1940 -1950 all metal work horse machine. I have a Kenmore and an older Singer that I use when making those feed bag bags and coiled bowls. You can usually find then for less than what you pay for that Singer Heavy Duty which isn't HD.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:58 AM

One reason I bought my red machine Bernina (215) was that the motor was supposed to be heavier duty and yep, so far it has stitched just fine, but I really haven't done much heavy stitching with it. When I traded my lemon Bernina 570 for the 590, which is also supposed to have a more powerful motor, it really does seem to be a sturdier machine, but then again, the 570 was a lemon. My old Viking D1 (RIP) was a workhorse, and when my other machines would have a problem (like making pleated curtains with pleating tape 6 thick layers), that is the machine that would plow through it. I think the machines with metal parts including the insides are sturdier than the plastic ones.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:37 AM
Power Poster

I think you would be very happy with the Juki TL18. It has a foot lifter to get over thick seams. The Juke 2010 is the same machine but no foot lifter. Those that makes sturdy bags and purses love it. It is the best selling machine of the last few years according to most dealers.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:50 AM

I have that machine and so far it has worked fine. It does sound clunky, I think of it as old-fashioned as it sounds like an older machine. I haven't sewed denim but have sewed through multiple layers of folded fabric with no problems so long as I go slowly and make sure the needle is seated properly. Not a high quality machine, though, and if were planning extensive heavy duty sewing I would invest in a machine that has no other function.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I think you would be very happy with the Juki TL18. It has a foot lifter to get over thick seams. The Juke 2010 is the same machine but no foot lifter. Those that makes sturdy bags and purses love it. It is the best selling machine of the last few years according to most dealers.
Well, this sent me down the proverbial rabbit hole of research into this machine. IF...... I needed or wanted another machine, I would buy this one. I have to hem my husband's jeans, he's not the tallest guy but he's cute, and none of my 3 machines will handle the multiple jean seams. I, also, really like that it is Mechanical, and only a straight stitch. Amazon has 2 of these machines for $1,599 with a $500 coupon off that price. https://www.amazon.com/Haruka-TL18QV...1231566&sr=8-1
I am sew tempted! Note from my early sewing days...If you have never truly adjusted tension, there is a small learning curve. I did not see where you could move the needle. That's almost a necessity for me to get a scant 1/4" seam. On the good side, the manual is a good machine manual. It doesn't try to teach you how to sew, just how the machine works. There are quite a few oiling points on this machine, just like "in the good old days".