Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My potato chip filmsy quilt top >

My potato chip filmsy quilt top

My potato chip filmsy quilt top

Old 03-24-2024, 10:48 AM

Default My potato chip filmsy quilt top

It's been so long since I've posted anything, sure hope the memory is still there (somewhere). This is my potato chip block filmsy made 5 blocks by 7 blocks for a total of 35 total blocks, each with 18 different fabrics for a total of 630 different fabrics used. All fabrics were from my scrappy stash. This one before quilting measures about 60"x84". I'm still auditioning backings and quilting patterns and if I want to send it out or do it myself. Many of the same fabrics were used in the quilt I made last year called My Monster Quilt. Let's hope I remember how to post a photo....
Attached Thumbnails img_2914.jpg  
Old 03-24-2024, 12:15 PM

Very effective! This is a block I've just recently heard about and it quickly is moving up the to-do list. You've just bumped it up even further with this lovely quilt top.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Well done!
A great pattern that you can work on here and there and can stop at any size of a quilt one wants. Or if you get bored or tired of working on the same-old-same-old!!

Curious? what size of blocks did you use?
Do you think that is the "right" size when putting so many different fabrics together?
Or would you go to smaller blocks? or larger? or stay the same?

IRL you will have a better sense of this, than with us looking at a photo.

I'm asking, as I am thinking of doing it as a theme quilt.
Such as, all florals, or all kids fabrics, etc.

Thank you!
Old 03-24-2024, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

Great job, love it !
Old 03-24-2024, 12:41 PM

Looking good.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:07 PM

QuiltE....Hello! My potato chip was individually cut at 2.5"x4.5"....18 of these little devils make up one block. You can also cut them 2"x3.5", but it does take more to make the complete block. Since I had hundreds of pieces already cut at 2.5"x5" I used them and only had to shave of a half inch on each one. I would love to make a pastel baby quilt using the 2x3.5" size or one in a single color famiy (pinks) using that size. But now too many other tops to finish first.
There is also a u-tube video with the directions on how to make one.

Last edited by lindaschipper; 03-24-2024 at 02:08 PM. Reason: error
Old 03-24-2024, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Great scrappy!
Old 03-24-2024, 02:45 PM

I am not usually a scrappy person, but I love this quilt!!! That is a lot of stitching and pressing. You did a great job. All those different fabrics really play well together. Is this one for you, or will there be another lucky recipient?

Last edited by SueZQ from MN; 03-24-2024 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
QuiltE....Hello! My potato chip was individually cut at 2.5"x4.5"....18 of these little devils make up one block. You can also cut them 2"x3.5", but it does take more to make the complete block. Since I had hundreds of pieces already cut at 2.5"x5" I used them and only had to shave of a half inch on each one. I would love to make a pastel baby quilt using the 2x3.5" size or one in a single color famiy (pinks) using that size. But now too many other tops to finish first.
There is also a u-tube video with the directions on how to make one.
Thanks LindaSchipper ... Not surprised it is jelly roll sized, as I know that is common for this sort of thing. I don't have any JRs and will be cutting from scraps and stash. Might go a bit bigger, and let things work up a wee bit faster.

I like having a "mindless" project on hand, for when I want to sew, but don't want to think!! This will truly fit the bill and can be waiting and ready for times like that. Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2024, 12:55 AM

SueZQfrom MN.....actually I haven't decided yet. It may depend on the backing material and if I send it out to be quilted or attempt it myself.