Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jen Kingwells new book >

Jen Kingwells new book

Jen Kingwells new book

Old 03-29-2024, 03:37 AM

Default Jen Kingwells new book

Now I need another book like I need another hole in my head, but I'm facinated by one of the quilts. Quilt in a Day has the book on sale today for something like $30 and some change, which is far more than I've ever paid for a book. I just keep thinking about all the scraps I could use or that layer cake that sits in the drawer along with that fat quarter bundle....I'm so tempted.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:48 AM

It is a stunning quilt and you would use up a lot of scraps. I agree $30. is a lot of money and there are tons of free quilt patterns on line and some lower cost patterns that use up a lot of scraps. My thoughts are that $30. can buy me a lot of fruit and veggies.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I like this pattern and her book is nice. I bought the foundation papers for this pattern. They came in a big tablet. My enjoyment making this quilt is well worth $30 as I will be using mostly fabric I have saved from other projects. I can always find other things to buy with my quilting money but then why have quilting money?
Old 03-29-2024, 04:28 AM

It does look like a great scrap buster. Are you attracted to the pattern or the fabric used in the pattern? I know I get caught loving the fabric choices in the photos of quilts in magazines, online and of course books. At $30+ would you use the book for more than one pattern? Just another consideration.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:50 AM

I saw the book on the Quilt in a Day email and there are 3 or 4 quilts I like. I'm thinking I might buy it.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:02 AM

It's the pattern that I like...not real found of her fabric choices, but that's what scrap quilts are all about ...using up what you have.
Didn't know it was foundation pieced....hmmm! I'll have to check if QIAD also carries them. There were a couple other quilts that I liked in the book, but this one really caught my attention.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

The book has templates to trace but I prefer to paper piece. A quilt shop was vending at my guild and she had the book and foundation paper book.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-29-2024 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:03 AM

Linda, do a search for paper pieced diamond in a diamond patterns. here is one from etsy
https://www.etsy.com/listing/8626492...search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1203315...search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1362495...search_click=1

I've never bought a fpp pattern on etsy that didn't come in multiple sizes.
Jen's books are probably more expensive if they are printed in Australia, like Quilt Mania books from france.
Same problem with US books overseas are more expensive for them.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I have a few blocks made using the middle part of the papers. The papers make the bigger pattern on the cover.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:53 AM

Jen's patterns are usually EPP. If the only reason you want the book is for this pattern, you can often figure out how to make EPP quilts without the pattern. I often take some EPP papers and play with them until I figure it out.