Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody else give up on FMQ? >

Anybody else give up on FMQ?

Anybody else give up on FMQ?

Old 04-05-2024, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

I glue baste my quilts. The back and quilt top are coated in a thin layer of glue and then pressed dry. Not one little bit of fabric will shift or bunch. It's like quilting flat paper. I don't have to worry about any puckers, folds, or 'pillows'. I can finish quilting a throw size quilt in about an hour doing swirls or straight lines. Right now I'm machine quilting starting in the middle and making one big spiral outward. I'm using the walking foot as the width of the stitch lines to keep me straight. I learned this in a Catherine Redford class. I use this to have glue on every thread of my quilt.

Big Horn 19044 Glue Roller Bottle, 8-Ounce

Thanks to a poster here for the tip to use the roller bottle. It changed my basting world.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:29 AM

It’s very interesting how each of us prefers one quilting technique over another. I’ve done FMQ on my domestic, and I had a sit-down Tiara for many years. I disliked the actual quilting process, and often had quilt tops piling up. Then I stumbled on a deal I couldn’t refuse. I was able to purchase a very lightly used Crown Jewel III longarm on a Momentum frame, along with software for computerized quilting, for $5,000. There was definitely a learning curve, but I love the whole quilting process now. (Oh, except for the binding!) I can’t piece tops quickly enough.

Last edited by loisf; 04-05-2024 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:01 AM

[QUOTE=Onebyone;8644304]I glue baste my quilts. The back and quilt top are coated in a thin layer of glue and then pressed dry. Not one little bit of fabric will shift or bunch. It's like quilting flat paper. I don't have to worry about any puckers, folds, or 'pillows'. I can finish quilting a throw size quilt in about an hour doing swirls or straight lines. Right now I'm machine quilting starting in the middle and making one big spiral outward. I'm using the walking foot as the width of the stitch lines to keep me straight.

Onebyone, are you using the WF with the feed teeth down, as in free motion? I am imagining the angular circle I would get by shifting the quilt every little bit to turn the foot.

charlotte
Old 04-05-2024, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

Feed dogs up with walking foot. The first part of the circle is lot of turning but it gets bigger runs fast.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Feed dogs up with walking foot. The first part of the circle is lot of turning but it gets bigger runs fast.
Thanks for that. Not sure I could do it well but definitely worth a try.

charlotte
Old 04-05-2024, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

This is the book that got me started. One Line at a Time : 24 Geometric Machine Quilting Designs Made Easy by Charlotte Warr Anderson. Should still be in print or cheap used.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:31 PM

I am doing FMQ on my Bernina 740 with BSR. mostly meandering stitch. If I made a quilt worth $100, I would have it quilted by a professional. Unfortunately, I am a beginner and my quilts are not worth that. I took a FMQ class at my LQS and my stitches were a lot better than others who didn't have the BSR. It makes me look a lot better than what I really am. So I will continue to do what I can with what I have. Sometime in the future, I will have a longarm of some type, until them, I will quilt with my Bernina or my walking foot. I am content with where I am in my quilting journey and I am enjoying the growing process.

Old 04-06-2024, 02:09 AM

I use my embroidery machine to do end to end quilting. At least my projects will be completed.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

I have an embroidery machine and many told me to do edge to edge on it.I tried the embroidery machine end to end. It was tedious and took a long time rehooping and matching up plus the prep measuring. Too much brain work for me. The embroidery machine went back to the closet.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

Oh no! It's wonderful and practice makes perfect. Or at least "charming".