Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for a baby quilt >

Ideas for a baby quilt

Ideas for a baby quilt

Old 04-08-2024, 11:06 AM

Default Ideas for a baby quilt

So I want to make a baby quilt. The shower is in May so I don’t have too long to complete it. The baby is a boy. Ideas for a quick quilt and also for colors. I know they do a wide variety of colors now. Gone are the pinks and blues.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:01 PM

I understand that babies like bright colors, so any simple block with bright colors should be perfect. Warm Wishes is an easy pattern, as is Falling Charms. You can google either of them for a pattern. I made this little propellor quilt in bright colors for a child. Just simple squares and half square triangles.

Attached Thumbnails img_0428.jpeg  
Old 04-08-2024, 12:19 PM

Here is a link to the first of 5 pages of baby quilts posted in the albums on this forum, have a look, you should see something that is just right.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums16930.html
Old 04-08-2024, 12:56 PM

A super quick baby blanket, one that can be used in a variety of ways is the self-binding baby blanket.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnXashT_rs
This video is a quick tutorial or you can search YouTube for others. I like to add a small square in the center when I'm top stitching to help keep the two layers from slipping.

It's so quick and easy you can make a few. Adjust the sizes so the new mom can use them for swaddling or putting on the floor for tummy time. Of course, if you're looking to make a keepsake quilt, these won't do.
Old 04-08-2024, 06:58 PM

I know I’m a broken record, but this has become my go-to pattern for baby quilts. It looks great, goes together fast, and is a perfect size for a baby. As far as colors, red, white, and blue is always good, especially for boys. You could go monochromatic with blue or green, or you could pick a cute backing fabric and pull a couple of colors from it to make your top.

https://youtu.be/2-tA9yrJ9LE?si=eNk4P9R28nBBMV8G
Attached Thumbnails img_5094.jpeg   img_5167.jpeg   img_0407.jpeg  
Old 04-09-2024, 02:01 AM

I always look through Villa Rosa Pattern site when I want a fast and easy pattern. Too many patterns(25 pages) to pick from and the cost is only two dollar each... but they do have to be mailed. I just ordered 5 patterns this morning, but I know they will be here by Saturday. Shipping time is fast with them.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:06 AM

I recently made the top for this disappearing nine patch baby quilt in a couple of hours using two charm packs and a couple of additional fabrics. I used flannel for a cozy back and quilted it simply on my DSM.
Attached Thumbnails disney-baby-quilt.jpg  
Old 04-09-2024, 04:14 AM

Baby quilt? For my two cents, any color, any pattern but keep it simple enough that it can take the amount of washing that a child's quilt will likely need. I often quilt a little more heavily, Children like all colors and as they go from baby to toddler they will begin to look at smaller details so and I Spy is appropriate.

Here are two I made. One is a close up of forest baby fabric but not in traditional colors. Parents are outdoor folk and this fit their family "vibe" but was still child like. The second quilt is a Lori Holt pattern (free in her Sew Your Stash series on YouTube) in shades of purple, turquoise and green/blue.

Have fun with your baby quilt making!
Attached Thumbnails 2020-10-15-john-andrew-keeler-close-up-1.jpg   2024-02-25-checkerboard-chain-42x42-bailey-baby.jpg  

Last edited by WMUTeach; 04-09-2024 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM

Lots of great ideas. I’ve made rag quilts with kid’s flannel…..go together quickly. Given them to some new moms who liked to use them in the car to drape over the baby after strapping in. guess they aren’t suppose to keep them in coats anymore.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:46 AM

Take 5 is a fairly easy quilt to put together. Or this weave pattern, it's raw edge applique.