Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric price is going higher. >

Fabric price is going higher.

Fabric price is going higher.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Default Fabric price is going higher.

I went to LQS this morning and overheard the owner tell an employee she just finished her rep order and how much the fabric lines have increased since last order. I'm at my price limit for a yard at local quilt shops now so I know any increase will keep me out of the stores. Also she said Aurifil prices will be increased so she didn't reorder. What Aurifil was in the stock was it.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:42 AM

oh, I was feeling guilty a while back because when I was working, it was so much easier to buy fabric then actually stitch it up. I had realized that I had way more fabric than I would ever use so I switched to buying things like thread and backing when I would go to shops with my friends and of course I would order thread when on sale and then get enough so I still got free shipping. Well, I have just about decided I don't need to feel guilty about that anymore and that it was really a wise investment in my future!
Old 04-11-2024, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
oh, I was feeling guilty a while back because when I was working, it was so much easier to buy fabric then actually stitch it up. I had realized that I had way more fabric than I would ever use so I switched to buying things like thread and backing when I would go to shops with my friends and of course I would order thread when on sale and then get enough so I still got free shipping. Well, I have just about decided I don't need to feel guilty about that anymore and that it was really a wise investment in my future!
I hear that! I used to joke that I was buying fabric while I was making good money so that if I didn't have as much, I'd still be able to sew and quilt. Now I've discovered it's not that much of a joke!! It was an investment!
Old 04-11-2024, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Yep, back in the day I could buy quilt shop quality fabric at wholesale from a fabric distributor. I bought bolts. I wish I had chosen more blenders and backgrounds instead of the pretty prints but I have enough to make quilts for a very long time.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:16 AM

In my area the three quilt shops hover between $12.99-$14.99. I look for sales and deals between the three. All are over a 30 minute drive in different directions. I get Connecting Threads emails, and have checked out their website. They are still very reasonable priced. I'm thinking they will be getting my business. I used to get their catalog, but it didn't follow me when I moved. I got on their website and signed up to start receiving it again at my new address. Also Etsy seems to have good fabric, new lines at good prices. Retail therapy is starting to outprice me, so I guess I'll have to switch over to sewing therapy...🤣🤣🤣🤣 Such a tough life we sewers live.

Last edited by Quiltah Mama; 04-12-2024 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Add more info
Old 04-12-2024, 03:41 AM

I'm not surprised; what isn't going up and up in cost? Many corporations are making record profits.

Rarely do I buy fabric that's not on sale, same for notions. Quite a few years ago, there was a company in Canada that was going out of business; all of their Aurifil was sold at great price. The colors were a little odd by the time I found out about it, but I bought several spools of what I'd call a shade of peach. Pretty ugly, actually - but it works just fine for most piecing. It's also a lot less expensive if purchased by the cone, so if I want white or gray, that's what I'll do.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:34 AM

Yes I did that too. When hubby and I were working I stocked up on fabric and thread and batting. I'm beginning to run out of battings aside from the specialty stuff, so now I just shop from my stash. Oh, also I'm finishing up UFO's.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:57 AM

I've been searching for fabrics at my local thrift shop. It's amazing what folks will discard these days. I don't need quilting fabrics but I have been collecting dress type fabrics to make new clothes for myself as I'm an odd size with a high waist line. I've even been looking thru the draperies and curtains as most good ones are lined and if you can find a complete pair or more of the same, you can make a skirt with jacket or a dress with a short jacket. My aunt used to have all her suits made from brocade drapery fabrics and they were stunning.

We just got a new fabric store in town and though she doesn't have a lot of fabric, the prices looked to be about what they've been for the past year or two. We also just lost 2 fabric stores in nearby towns so we're still short 1 fabric store.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Quite a few years ago, there was a company in Canada that was going out of business; all of their Aurifil was sold at great price.

Yes! I bought from them online. I bought packages of Aurifil six large spools in all colors. Lots of jumbo cones of it too. The sell out prices were bargain basement low. I even got Aurifil poly in the jumbo cones. Tristan Italian Thread, that sold the mako thread from Italy has gone out of business. The other brand of Italian thread they kept in stock was excellent and I have many spools of that. I was sorry to see them close.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:14 AM

My mom worked at a LQS for 10 years, and she said when she started fabric was about $7.99 per yard.... boy it sure has increased since then...