Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric price is going higher. >

Fabric price is going higher.

Fabric price is going higher.

Old 04-12-2024, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I'm not surprised; what isn't going up and up in cost? Many corporations are making record profits.
You had the first part right... just don't ignore the fact that these profit-seeking corporations are also dealing with higher costs. Have you tried shipping something lately? How about the budget to handle government-required minimum wage hikes?
Old 04-12-2024, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Companies goal is to make a profit. The amount of profit is determined by how
much the customer is willing to give for the product. I am very picky who gets my spendable income.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:02 PM

I am not surprised about the price increase. Since the fabrics are transported by cargo ships, off-loaded at ports around the world and then taken to distribution warehouses so employees can fill orders for the LQS as well as online vendors. But before they fill the orders, the fabric reps drive multiple states to market the new lines. The cost of transportation is expensive. These companies are family owned businesses (FOB). Jaftex is a fifth-generation FOB, Hoffman started in the 20s and Kaufman in the 40s. Other known companies have a history as well similar to theirs. Think Mr. B of Benartex. One fabric company closed their doors in 2017, Kona Bay Fabrics. These companies provide us with beautifully designed fabrics (some designers are $$$$) and the websites give us a lot of free information. I don't like the increase but I understand the cost of doing business. I too am picky like OneByOne of who gets my spendable income. Happy sewing of the stash!
Old 04-12-2024, 05:49 PM

I spend our church quilting budget at JoAnns & Hobby Lobby to get the best bang for our buck.
Recently I bought quilt fabric for my personal quilt project at my local quilt shop ($12.99).
I feel quality wasn’t what it used to be because it felt just like HL and JF, just double the price ☹️
Old 04-12-2024, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

Everything seems to be going up.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I was browsing Missouri Star sale page late last night and found a beautiful Windham fabric for $1 a yard. I bought five yards for a backing. Also a pretty pastel batik from Anthology for $2 a yard. I got two yards of that. Also MS Egyptian cotton thread was less then $3 a spool You never know what will be hidden in the fifty plus pages of the sale bin. I check it regularly. Every page.I don't know if it was a mistake on their end but the sale went through.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You had the first part right... just don't ignore the fact that these profit-seeking corporations are also dealing with higher costs. Have you tried shipping something lately? How about the budget to handle government-required minimum wage hikes?
Not to mention the price of gas and the cost of replacing the aging postal carriers vehicles that were designed to only work in the warmer states where snow doesn't fall.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:14 AM

and yet quilters still suck up the precuts... enormously costly way to buy fabric.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:01 AM

Not only has the price gone up, but my fabric shops are going out of bushiness. Used to have several shops close by, now just Joanns. So, a trip to a quilt shop has become a long trip for me. I do have a Joanns close by, but I'm careful of the quality of quilting fabric there. Making a quilt now is a very expensive thing...
Old 04-13-2024, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Even the men's cotton shirts at the thrift stores are $6 or more each. I always look for the XXX size. I buy all the cotton Hawaiian print shirts I can find.They blend and extend the amount of Kaffe and other bright color designs I have in my stash.