Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric price is going higher. >

Fabric price is going higher.

Fabric price is going higher.

Old 04-14-2024, 04:10 AM

Sale prices don't drive my fabric shopping. My time is the most expensive part of quilting for me. I'm extremely picky about my fabric choices. But I do have my pricing limits. Well...unless I really want it! I did purchase my originally designed fabric from Spoonflower for, I think, $17.99/yard. But, I don't do this very much.
(​​​​​​I don't participate in fabric swaps for these reasons.)

Now, thread is a different story. I'm totally lost in the world of thread. Coats & Clark is what I grew up with and am familiar with. I would like to buy on sale, but not sure of qualities. I want quality thread on my quality quilt!!
Old 04-14-2024, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

I have lots of different brands of cotton thread. The only difference I can tell between them is how linty some are and I can't tell any difference in strength when having to use the seam ripper. I use Glide poly thread for most of my machine quilting.
Old 04-14-2024, 01:12 PM

I'm another that uses mostly poly because cotton is so dang linty. I'd love Glide if I could find it in my area, but nobody seems to carry it around here, and shipping has gotten outrageous. I use Superior's Bottom Line almost exclusively, except for longarming.
Old 04-14-2024, 04:58 PM

I'm a big fan of Marshall Dry Goods for fabric. These fabrics are all from their personal lines and I am very happy with how this turned out.
Attached Thumbnails checkerboard-quilted.jpg  
Old 04-14-2024, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by sloscotty View Post
all from their personal lines
What does this mean - "personal lines"?
Old 04-15-2024, 01:06 AM

Sorry, I meant "Marshall Dry Goods" branded fabric. (MDG Classics, MDG tonals, etc), as opposed to RJR, Hoffman, Windham, etc. They carry many "name-brands" at much more reasonable prices than other online retailers, but their best prices are on the lines listed under their own MDG brand.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I go to Marshall's in person a couple times a year. The retail store side sells much more than what is on the website. Their new MDG line of Earth Jewels is beautiful. I bought a bolt of light for backgrounds and jelly rolls of the line. https://marshalldrygoods.com/shop/ho...arth%20jewels& Also comes in 108" for backing.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by sloscotty View Post
Sorry, I meant "Marshall Dry Goods" branded fabric. (MDG Classics, MDG tonals, etc).
Ah, thank you for the explanation.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:50 AM

You are fortunate that you do not live in the UK... a metre/yard is $15. A Moda jelly roll is a shade over $44, a layer cake is also $44 and a Charm pack is $16, for starters... Aurifil cottons, small reel $5.00 and a larger reel $10. I look at your websites and start to work out how much I might be able to save...
Old 04-15-2024, 10:24 AM

I've stopped buying fabric because I like it...like for "future use.) As quilting has become an expensive endeavor, more and more quilt shops have gone out of business. . Now, I'm glad that I've saved fabric as it sure comes in handy now. My local quilt shop has expanded their shop to include other "hand endeavors" as well. They also have a room for women to meet to quilt together. It is a very busy shop. There is a fabric shop 90mi away that has a large stock of fabulous fabric. My friend and I make a day of it and I buy tons (like I need more fabric).