Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Setting Up Singer 201-2 For FMQ >

Setting Up Singer 201-2 For FMQ

Setting Up Singer 201-2 For FMQ

Old 05-02-2024, 10:40 AM

Default Setting Up Singer 201-2 For FMQ

Hi All, Does anyone use a vintage Singer for FMQ? I have Mabel (my 201-2) set up for FMQ. I have the feed dog dropped and a ruler foot on the machine. When using FMQ templates, I have to crank up the tension to 9 (highest she will go) and really lower the presser bar pressure (the top thumb screw really far out) to get the sandwich to move freely and not get eye lashing on the back. I don't have any kind of slider under to help. I need to purchase one of those Teflon oven liners (I have another thread about these). It seems to me that the tension is way too high and the presser bar pressure too loose, but anything else and I don't get quality stitches. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Shari
Old 05-03-2024, 03:55 AM

I don't have a clue. I have a 15-91 that I intended to learn FMQ on but haven't so far. I tried it on my 301 and I wasn't very good at it. (Of course, I wouldn't be at first.) I then took the easy way out and finished the quilt with straight line quilting. I got the impression that a lot of it has to do with pacing. I was able to get everything adjusted, but was not able to get the pacing and direction going at the same time.

Wish I could help.(I just bought some books on straight line quilting.)

bkay