Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
ISO reputable source for information >

ISO reputable source for information

ISO reputable source for information

Old 05-20-2024, 04:58 PM

Default ISO reputable source for information

Hello Everyone
I'm looking for suggestions on where to research various diet and health topics that are not mainstream - I have two topics in particular I am looking for information on...

The reason/story - I have two friends who are very strong in their opinions on two particular topics and while I do not agree with them, I would like to do a little more research on my own to decide for myself if their stance is valid....

The first topic is about microwaving food - these folks are adamant that doing this destroys any nutritional value...such that neither of them use the microwave and will not eat anything that has been cooked or re-heated (if they know this has happened).... nothing I've read supports their beliefs but I'm trying to be open minded....

The second topic is about mushrooms - again, both these folks (who do not even know each other ) are firm in their belief that mushrooms are very very bad for you.... again, nothing I've read supports this but I would like to know if there are other like minded folks. They also feel this way about onions but leeks are ok...

In this day of the internet, you can usually find someone/some group/some organization that supports your beliefs regardless of how "out there" they might be. I like to use reputable science based resources for decision making...

So, if you have some resources you use. please post them in the comments/responses... and I thank you all!
Old 05-20-2024, 05:35 PM

Google Scholar is a great search engine to track scientific articles on a bunch of topics.

info on microwave beliefs article: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...24224421006117

What I have been reading about is the theory with the microwave is that it might be breaking up the DNA in the food which does not make the food readily useable for nutrient extraction.

Old 05-20-2024, 05:39 PM

Here's a link to a blog from 2012 sure to get you to consider avoiding overly processed foods: http://www.kimmartindale.com/archives/date/2012/02
Old 05-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Interesting questions.

I do know that some people have serious food allergies and food sensitivities.

I do not recall that this was so common 70 years ago.

I wonder how many people know where raw/unprocessed food comes from.

By the "food" gets to the grocery store - - - -