Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Breast Cancer Awareness Block Swap--CLOSED >

Breast Cancer Awareness Block Swap--CLOSED

Breast Cancer Awareness Block Swap--CLOSED

Old 01-15-2010, 02:03 PM

Great Sandi. I too am glad to see people joining in. It truely is a good cause and it touches so many of us in various ways. If we can do one thing to help even one person it is all worth it. Thanks again girl for hosting such as special swap.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Banned

yes, thank you so much for hosting this most wonderful swap.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:06 PM

OK, got ideas for the block, but have one question. I have never done this, so if this sounds like a silly question, please forgive me. If we make 12 blocks and send 12 in, we will get twelve back. Now that would make a 3 X 4 quilt. So if I make twelve and send twelve, then none of my blocks would be in my finished quilt? Also, you designated Pink and White. Are any accenting colors permitted? Like chocolate brown or green, or are we sticking with just the two colors. Just want to get this right.
Thanks.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nursie76
OK, got ideas for the block, but have one question. I have never done this, so if this sounds like a silly question, please forgive me. If we make 12 blocks and send 12 in, we will get twelve back. Now that would make a 3 X 4 quilt. So if I make twelve and send twelve, then none of my blocks would be in my finished quilt? Also, you designated Pink and White. Are any accenting colors permitted? Like chocolate brown or green, or are we sticking with just the two colors. Just want to get this right.
Thanks.
i can't answer the color options but i can address the block situation.

you make 12 blocks and mail in 12 blocks - the organizer will return 1 of your original blocks along with 11 blocks made by other people in the swap.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:57 PM

I am thinking fabrics that remind you of breast cancer awareness colors, white on white is fine, pinks and other small print colors or even a pastel type range (try to make pink and white be the primary colors so that the blocks have the same feel). I recently saw a couple of fabrics with inspirational sayings on them under a breast cancer fabric heading, one had birds on it that was cute and that had other colors in it. I am not sure I am helping with your question. I will trust your judgement, I'm sure whatever you make will be fabulous. Thank You!!!
Originally Posted by nursie76
Thanks.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:28 PM

So... A base of pink and white, though other colors in addition are acceptable. I'm pretty sure one of my blocks will have that bird fabric in it!
Old 01-16-2010, 04:42 PM

I decided on the block to make, Jacobs Ladder, chosen out of "The New Sampler Quilt" by Diana Leone. I have most of the fabric cut out, pulled them all from my stash. :) I even have the backing in my stash, perfect for it (lets hope there is enough).
Old 01-16-2010, 06:03 PM

I am making a Jacob's Ladder quilt top right now and I love making those blocks, I am sure your's will be beautiful.
Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I decided on the block to make, Jacobs Ladder, chosen out of "The New Sampler Quilt" by Diana Leone. I have most of the fabric cut out, pulled them all from my stash. :) I even have the backing in my stash, perfect for it (lets hope there is enough).
Old 01-17-2010, 08:31 AM

Okay I have a question - I found at a local fabric store the breast cancer material that has the ladies on it. Some have scarves on their heads, some are just bald and I am sure some have hats too. Would you ladies find it appropriate if I incorporated one of those squares in to each block (I am pretty sure I have enough to make 12) or would you prefer I pick a regular quilt block instead?!? I wasn't sure exactly how much some people wanted it to represent the cancer that distinctly.
Any thoughts would be great!
Kendra
Old 01-17-2010, 08:35 AM

I can see how some might mind, but I don't!